Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a question answered here recently but I would like and

Customer Question

I had a question answered here recently but I would like to follow up and get some more advise.I took the Hiv 1 ql tma test 19 days after possible exposure and it came back not detected last wednesday. Should I be good to go at this point?I was have really bad stress about the issu - I was having bad acid reflex and diarrhea but no fever or chills or severe headaches or rashes. I saw an urgent care doctor before my test came back and she believed I was having these things because of stress.After it came back negative my stress dropped. My acid reflux is not bad, my diarrhea is gone. Well, this past weekend I started having a couple issees, I started to get a sore throat, nothing horrible but today I decided to go back to urgent care - it's not strep, it's nothing extreme, I have a post nasal drip, she believes it's due to allergies due to the col and dry weather in the past week, should this be a concern? Or am I just getting ahead of myself because the test came back negative?Any detailed answer will be great
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Unfortunately when the test is negative after only 19 days post possible exposure, it can't be considered a true negative since some patients don't seroconvert untill the three month point.

So, while I think you are truly HIV negative, you need to be retested in three months. If it's negative at that point, you're good to go.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, the test I got was an early detection test suppose to be accurate after 11-14 days. That's why I took that test. It wasn't the one that tests for antibodies but the one that tests for the actual virus

I understand but only if the test is positive can it be considered accurate. The negative test needs the three month followup with a Western Blot test