Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

I recently had unprotected sex with a female (vaginal sex)

Customer Question

hey
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: i recently had unprotected sex with a female (vaginal sex)
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: average
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Diabetic (on metformin 500mg)
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

What question can I answer for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
on Oct.1st i had unprotected sex with a female (vaginal sex). then the following weekend i had sex again with her oct.8th.
I don't know her status. I had anxiety about stds and hiv. I took an HIV RNA PCR TEST on Oct.11 which came back Negative and then i took another HIV RNA PCR TEST on Oct.17th. i did get tested for chylamdia and gonerrea and i tested positive for Gonerrea which i figured because i had pain after i urinate and discharge. doctor gave me two antibiotic pills and a shot in my butt (i think penicillin). since then the pain when i urinate is gone but still feel weird tingling feeling in my penis and kinda feel body soreness but other than that i feel okay. Whats the Odds i caught Gonerrea and HIV? am i testing too soon. i read RNA test is accurate in the window period of 7-12 days after exposure?

There is no particular correlation between Gonorrhea and HIV so it is not sure that you have both.

The HIV RNA PCR test can have a window period of up to 4 weeks.

I would recommend getting retested for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia again on 11/1.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Expert:  Michael Salama replied 9 months ago.

If not, please don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!