Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I want to know if a hiv test at 4 weeks is conclusive? I

Customer Question

Hi, I want to know if a hiv test at 4 weeks is conclusive? I tested negative but I have been feeling very tired and with shortness of breath. I have symptoms of anemia I also have black stools and just want to make sure it is not HIV since I also have a white coating on my tongue but does not look like oral trush. Thanks. It has been 2 months since I tested negative at 4 weeks theough a regular blood finger prick test.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Finger prick test can detect upto 95% infections within 4-6 weeks post exposure, and is conclude at 3 months. At 4 weeks your negative test result is reassuring but it would be conclusive at 3 months so repeat the test once at 3 months.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** symptoms have black stools and popping joints, white coating on tongue and fatigue? I also got 2 blood filled ulcers inside my mouth once but not at the same time, and I once woke up with puffy eyelids before possible exposure.

These are non specific symptoms not linked to HIV. Black stools should be evaluated though for upper GI bleeding to rule out any other disease.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.