HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get Answers to Your HIV and AIDS Questions

HIV and AIDS

What is a negligible or theorically risk?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
8/26/2016
HIV and AIDS Expert: Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Daniel Sheibley, MD

A negligible or theoretical risk means that it is incrediby unlikely but still within the entire realm of possibility. It is possible but incredibly unlikely. The best analogy I can think of is that it is theoretically possible to flip a quarter in the air and have it land and say perfectly balanced on its side rather than land heads or tails. It is a negligible possibility but it is theoretically possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is negligible risk in HIV

That it is 0.001% likely or even less of infection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is fingering with cut a risk because many doctors told me it's not

No that is not a risk. You need not have any worry.

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even if it's fresh and bleeding little . It's a small cut , 2 days later a scab formed.

Yes. Negligible risk. Youll be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but can you define that because 5 days after the exposure I had a painful Swollen lymph node for a month, no other symptoms

You wouldn't develop symptoms of HIV that early after exposure. That is not related to any exposure to HIV

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think I need to test, and can you tell me why it isn't a risk

It isn't a risk because of the type of body fluid you came into contact with. And no you do not need to test. Only blood to blood contact would put you at risk.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but caginal fluid was on my cut
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Vaginal fluid was on my cut

Yes and that does not transmit HIV. Nor does saliva.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How does that not transmit, because in unprotected sex vaginal fluid does transmit, but why finger is not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do sex transmit HIV if vaginal fluid doesn't transmit

In unprotected sex it is transmission from semen into any small tears/cuts in the vaginal wall or anus (during anal sex). It is not transmitted by vaginal secretions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok how does man get affected by unprotected sex
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says in the internet that vaginal fluid carries HIV

If the woman has a tear in her vagina and the man does too and blood mixes. Male-Male sex has the highest risk of transfer, next male-female, then a female catching it from a male during vaginal sex, then a male catching it from a female during vaginal sex and then females catching it from other females during sex

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But why does the Internet and doctors say that vaginal fluid carries HIV

was this a scratch on your finger or an actively bleeding wound. If there was no bleeding you're fine by all accounts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I told that it was a scratch and bled little

You don't have to worry about this. You are at such an incredibly incredibly low risk of contracting HIV through this exposure.

you do not need to be tested because of this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you recommend testing or not

You do not need to be tested.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What wounds are of great concern, is it only deep wounds or what
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Because my cut was little bleeding, it didn't bleed a lot

Yes which you did not have, so you need not be concerned

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you consider a deep wound
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What wounds are of great concern

something that is actively bleeding at the time of exposure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will I told that my cut was little bleeding, so it is actively bleeding

SO your fingers were actively bleeding at the time you were involved in sexual activity?......

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it is a small cut that bled a little, I told you when we start this conversation

You do not have to worry about this risk at all. That is all the help I can give.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You told me that vaginal fluid doesn't carry HIV and that it needs blood to blood exposure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But why, you just said actively bleeding cut and my cut was bleeding little

You don't need to be tested. If you want to out of over concern to be tested then sure. If you were actively bleeding into someone else's vagina you should tell them too and they should be tested if you don't know your hiv status as well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if my cut was actively bleeding I should test but I should tell my partner, but why
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean if I was actively bleeding I shouldn't test right Doctor but I should tell my partner, but why

If your oozing blood into someone's vagina you need to tell them. I don't know why someone would put a finger that was dripping blood into someone's vagina but that is what you're saying.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I shouldn't test right even if it's bleeding little

If you're actively bleeding then both get tested and put this to rest

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But you just said that I shouldn't test and now your saying I should test, is it a risk for me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I told you that my cut was small and it didn't bleed a lot, it bleed small drops

Yes because I couldn't in my wildest imagination concieve that someone would put a bleeding finger into someone's vagina. If you'd scratched yourself, bled a tiny bit but then stopped and then had a sexual encounter you're not at any risk. But if you're inserting a finger that is dripping blood inside someone else who may or may not have some small cut inside their vagina then yes you shokuld BOTH get tested.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But you just said vaginal fluid doesn't carry HIV, only blood to blood exposure, her vagina doesn't have blood

Yes but do you know for sure she didn't have any cuts... even a drop from fingering? I can sense you won't feel any resolution until you get tested.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But why do cuts in vagina is a risk

Because cuts mean blood. Just both of you get tested. And never again stick a bleeding finger or other appendage into another person. Makes no sense. And it seems you knew better than that since you're so concerned right now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea but her vagina doesn't have any blood in it, because when I stocked my finger, there was not a single blood insider her, just fluid

A single drop of blood can spread around and be undetectable. Just both of you get tested.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok but did you see anyone in the world get infected with fingering

No

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok what if my cut was fresh and bled 10 minutes before the act, and can you please tell me does a cut heal immediately or not

I feel this is a prank question I"m sorry. People do this on this website just to burn through people's time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How is this a prank, I'm asking you a question

Yes and the fact that someone would put a bleeding finger into someone's vagina and then be concerned about it after the fact is just totally confusing. If you had stopped bleeding then no i would not be worried at all. If you were still bleeding then yes both of you get tested. THat is my final answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
even if paper cuts that bleed is a risk for fingering

If it has not stopped bleeding and you get it in contact with blood from another infected person then yes.

Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor