HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get Answers to Your HIV and AIDS Questions

HIV and AIDS

I have had very watery diarrhoea for the past 1 month. The

Customer Question
Hi, I have had very watery...
I have had very watery diarrhoea for the past 1 month. The last HIV test i had was 5 months ago which was fine.
I have finished 2 courses of antibiotics and have had an endoscope procedure in which the doctor saw inflamatiom. The test results from the endoscope procedure have not yet been released and are expected to be ready by September.
Besed on the above, could you advise me what are the chances that I have caught HIV?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
8/13/2016
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now you havent mentioned the type of exposure which you have had, that would give me a better idea as to whether you could have contracted HIV or not but based on diarrhea alone, that is NOT an indication for HIV. The watery diarrhea alone can be due to an infection in the intestines or even due to another disorder like inflammatory bowel disease, this is a condition in which the lining of the bowel wall is inflammed due to an autoimmune process. This would lead to abdominal pain, diarrhea with blood or mucus in the stools, joint pains, muscle aches etc. This would be diagnosed on a colonoscopy and then treated with steroids. The diarrhea which occurs in HIV is either due to the opportunistic infections which occur very late in the course of the disease (usually when you develop full blown AIDS) or in case of early viral illness common with HIV. This doesnt seem to be diarrhea associated with either opportunistic infections or even diarrhea associated with early viral prodome, because the early viral illness lasts for only 7-14 days.

So in short, i think the diarrhea alone does NOT give an indication whether you have HIV or not but it is less likely given the symptoms you have described. But i would be in a better position to give an opinion regarding your chances of HIV if you could give me information as to how you were exposed to HIV. Since your last test was negative, the diarrhea alone isnt enough evidence for an HIV infection.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your response.To give you a little more info, I had unprotected sex with a mexican woman at the end of May.Also, how soon after contracting HIV does diarrhoea become a symptom? I am worried because there is no sign of a parasite or other stomach issue. My doctor just said that He saw inflamation of the colon.Many thanks

Sorry for the late response but i was offline.

Anyway if you had acquired HIV, you would have contracted a viral illness in the first month after the episode, secondly diarrhea ALONE never indicates that you have HIV. as i said earlier if you had diarrhea due to opportunistic infections then you should have also other infections like lung problem, problems with vision etc. And if the diarrhea was due to the viral prodrome, then you should have had enlarged lymph nodes, fever, sore throat, rashes etc. You seem to have none of these symptoms so it is highly unlikely that you have HIV. But considering your anxiety simply get a 4th generation HIV test done which will exclude it. The inflammation in the colon is likely to be due to other causes like inflammatory bowel disease, colitis which can be autoimmune in nature or even due to other causes.

Blephritis IS caused by an infection of the eyelids. There are various types of blephritis ranging from anterior, posterior to mebomian blephritis. An infection includes the possibility of blephritis. It can be either sty or blephritis (both are caused by bacteria/infections). In your case since both eyelids are involved it is more likely to be blephritis

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor