HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I'm in nursing school and a patients iv tubing splashed back…

Customer Question
Hey I'm in nursing school...
Hey I'm in nursing school and a patients iv tubing splashed back in my face when hooking him back up to his fluids. I don't recall any blood in his iv line, and my preceptor laughed but I'm kind of worried. Is there a large chance I could contract anything without visible blood present in the line?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2016
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

The patient should be checked for HIV>

If he is negative for HIV, then nothing to worry about.

From blood splash incident the risk of HIV transmission is very very low as no open wounds on your face.

Other infections also are at very low risk.

Do not worry.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

I told my nurse and she told me not to worry so he wasn't checked. And it went into my eyes. I don't recall blood but if there was a miniscule amount of blood mixed in with the Nacl running would I be at great risk

Not at all --since no visible blood colored fluid this is not going to create any problem.

You are safe.

Best wishes,

in your opinion, I shouldn't need testing? I believe it was from the middle of the line because I unhooked the secondary line from the main line by mistake when it splashed back into my eyes. I just want an expert opinion to help ease my fears

No you do not need testing as there is practically no risk.

Best wishes