Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician
41363181

This is question is related to gonorrhea ,hope you can help

Customer Question

This is question is related to gonorrhea ,hope you can help me . My husband went to doctor for penis discharge/painful urination. He told me that doctor run a urinalysis , it's just urinary infection and prescribed him with 3 day antibiotics. I saw the urinalysis report, it does show very high white cell and red cells etc. I insisted on him having a full STD test, and he did one week later , and all came back negative. However, I recently found out that he had a gonorrhea test and had ceftriaxone sodium 250mg injection at the first time he saw the doctor----he never told me about the injection and the gonorrhea test he had at his first doctor visit. My questions are:
1: can the gonorrhea test result be available within a few hours? the cost of the test is about $120
2 : If the doctor prescribed him ceftriaxone injection at the same day that he had the test, does it mean he has gonorrhea? or ceftriaxone injection can be used to treat urinary infection too?
I just want to know if he did have gonorrhea and had the treatment. Thanks.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, gonorrhea test can be back in a few hours.

ceftriaxone injection is often used for gonorrhea infections and is not used often for regular UTI infections.

it sounds like he had gonorrhea infection treated with ceftriaxone injection

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer, I have one more question: can the gonorrhea test be negative two weeks after the treatment?
Is it possible for me to get gonorrhea from him after his treatment ? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, his gonorrhea testing like urine tests and penile swab cultures can be negative 2 weeks after his treatment for gonorrhea which would kill the infection.

if you have sex with him after his antibiotic therapy has completed, you should not be able to contract gonorrhea infection.

if you have sex early while he is still getting treatment, there is a small chance you could get infected.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com