HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec. Values 6.38 reference :0.00-0.90 index…

Customer Question
HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec...
HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec. Values 6.38
reference :0.00-0.90 index
What does this mean on my tests?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
My HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec value shows as 6.38 but I was also tested for others and it's shows as Chlamydia by NAA,
Gonococcus by NAA, HSV 1 NAA, and HSV 2 NAA all negative. But HSV 2 IgG Type value is 6.38. What does all this mean?
6/18/2015
HIV and AIDS Expert: DrDLove, Doctor replied 2 years ago
DrDLove
DrDLove, Doctor
A positive type specific antibody test for HSV2 indicates that you have been infected at some point in the past and consequently developed antibodies. A positive blood test does not indicate when the infection occurred or where it occurred. Since infection with either type of HSV is a lifelong infection, it also means that you still are carrying the virus. The virus will usually lie dormant in a nerve cell, and will grow episodically causing a sore on the skin or shedding of the virus without a sore.
HSV2 usually causes genital herpes, while HSV1 usually causes oral herpes, but the opposite also can happen, and the blood test cannot say where the infection occurred. If you have a history of oral cold sores or genital sores, then the location of symptoms would indicate the site of the infection. Since your HSV1 titer is normal, it can be said that if any oral cold sores occurred previously, it would have been from HSV2.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
DrDLove
DrDLove
DrDLove, Doctor