HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

If someone is infected with trichomonias and had contact…

Customer Question
hello, if someone is infected...
hello, if someone is infected with trichomonias and had contact with someone else we did not have sex but his penis touched my vagina is it possible for him to get infected?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
6/4/2015
HIV and AIDS Expert: DrDLove, Doctor replied 3 years ago
DrDLove
DrDLove, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, it is possible to transmit the trichomonas if there was non-penetrative contact. The transmission requires direct contact, and it is far more common for it to occur with penetrative penile-vaginal sex, but it could be transmitted with non-penetrative contact.
Note that the men usually are not infected with the trichomonas. The male can harbor the germ and transmit the trichomonas to other women, but the male is usually not infected. It is also usually difficult to document the presence of the trichomonas in the male, since it does not actively cause infection. But, as best as can be determined, it is direct contact that allows for transmission of the trichomonas.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.