DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

I pricked my finger with a needle after I inserted a 20 gauge

I pricked my finger with a needle after I inserted a 20 gauge IV. The patient tested negative for HIV. I did not receive PEP because patient was negative. I was told by physician at PEPline that no further testing is needed for me because guidelines state a negative is a true negative and no source person has transmitted HIV to a health care worker in the window period. I was told I could resume breastfeeding because patient was HIV negative. I was tested at 6 weeks(44 days) after needle stick, and tested negative. My husband had a sore throat for 3 days and fever for one day. He had strep throat that got better with antibiotic. My baby who is 6 months old, had red bumps on her bottom and lower back, which is gone now, and she had cradle cap which she had never had. Actually I don't know if it's cradle cap or dry scalp because it's not greasy, waxy, or yellow. It's just a dry flaky scalp on back of head. I read that seborrheic dermatitis is an early indication of HIV infection in children and that it is generalized and severe. Does that mean it's all over their body? Have I infected my family?
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

thanks for this question

The doctor you spoke with was correct. There is nothing to worry about.

Your family having these issues is just a coincidence. There is nothing to worry about. You tested negative and there is no way you could have given it to your family

Anxiety is getting the best of you. You are okay

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about colds? My baby just had a cold 2 weeks ago and now she is getting another one. I'm really afraid I've made her sick.
No. Not possible. Kids get sick. Its a coincidence
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why is it not possible?what if the patient was still in the window period and had not developed antibodies yet? I thought that my test isn't accurate until 12 weeks. How accurate is a 6 week test? I am so afraid I have hurt my baby.
As the doctor said, no healthcare worker has ever been infected during the window period.

Plus, with a needle stick you are only 3/1000 chance of getting it.

So, with those low odds and never being transmitted during the window period, it's highly unlikely.

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a 6 week test accurate? Would I have made antibodies by that time?
Yes, it is accurate. Repeat at 3 months but 6 weeks should be fine
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tested negative for HIV and hepatitis c at 6 and 12 weeks after needle stick. Patient was HIV negative and hepatitis c positive. Does hepatitis c delay HIV seroconversion? Another doctor on this site said it does.
Thanks for this question

Yes but you are hep C negative.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought that it would take 6 months for conclusive hepatitis c test. Is 12 weeks conclusive for HIV? What would cause delayed seroconversion for HIV? The same week I tested negative HIV at 12 weeks, my baby had a cold, ear infection, fever for 2 days, and then viral rash for 2 days. I was afraid that was ARS, but I tested HIV negative. But she has had a lot of colds and ear infections. And she has mild case eczema. She has tiny red bumps on her cheek. The NP said it was baby acne. Would folliculitus be itchy and have pus? I'm so afraid I've made her sick.
12 weeks is conclusive for HIV. Yes.

Your baby has normal infant issues.

These are common.

It is not HIV
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think it is folliculitus because it doesn't have pus and it doesn't itch. She never scratches her face. I just don't know why she would have an outbreak of pimples. Does eczema cause little pimples? Everyone keeps saying I don't have HIV. But I'm so afraid. I can barely function. Because I've read about delayed seroconversion with nurses. But it seems with the patient testing HIV negative and me testing negative twice, that that is evidence against infection.
That is 100% certain against infection Stephanie.

Not just evidence. 100% certain.

Babies get pimples all the time. It's common