TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

80 days, rather than 84 days, after giving and receiving

80 days, rather than 84 days, after giving and receiving oral unprotected sex (vaginal as well) with a female I was tested for HIV. The EIA test came back negative but I find it hard to believe. Not because of the women but just because I got sick 2 weeks after my test with fatigue , flu-like symptoms I was diagnosed with Strep Group C after a throat culture. I read online that this is also known as pharyngitis. Some sites list as a symptom of HIV.My question is that was my test conclusive? 4 days too early.Do I need to get tested again? Does having Strep Group C automatically mean I have HIV? I just want to be able to tell my current partner (female) the truth as to why I have been avoiding sex latey. Please help....
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okie dokie...hopefully unwilling get an answer soon. Thanks for keeping me posted...
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello.

Sorry that you had to wait this long.

The fact that you had a strep throat infection does not at all mean you have HIV infection- and could have been purely coincidental with any sexual exposure.

An HIV test being negative at 80 days is pretty strong evidence against HIV infection- Most people who are infected will show up as positive by 4-6 weeks. Less than 5% may take as long as 3 months- I generally do a repeat test at about 3 months- just slightly longer than you have had.

So, while it is unlikely that you are infected, I generally would repeat an HIV test one more time to reassure you. The strep infection has nothing to do with sex, but of course, you may want to be tested for other STDs like syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia to also reassure your new partner.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got tested for all of the other STD's one week prior to the HIV test (negative). So I take of that I am in the clear when of comes to this "scare"? Does have strep group c mean you have strep itself or does it mean you have pharyngitis?

Streptococcus is a bacteria- Group C can cause pharyngitis ( sore throat) in some people, but sometimes it can be asymptomatic.

If you do not have a sore throat any more, the prior strep is not relevant now.

Good luck.

TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience: I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.