HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get Answers to Your HIV and AIDS Questions

HIV and AIDS

I'm a bisexual male concerned about my risk for HIV,

Customer Question
Hepatitis B and C or...
I'm a bisexual male concerned about my risk for HIV, Hepatitis B and C or other infections after having a sexual encounter with a male sex worker. The exposure involved french kissing and oral sex. When I performed oral sex on this indivdual it was only for a few seconds, I stopped this activity before he ejaculated. There were no open sores on his penis and I have none in my mouth to my knowledge. The sex worker then performed oral sex on me for a few seconds before I had the good sense to put on a condom. I've been immunized against Hepatitis B. Should I get tested for something or just chalk it up to an experience that taught me an important life lesson. Thanks for your expertise.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
7/26/2011
HIV and AIDS Expert: TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)

Hello-

The exposures you describe are quite low risk overall.

First off- if you have been vaccinated for Hepatitis B ( and responded to the vaccine( up to 10-20% of people do not), then you have no risk of Hepatitis B.

The exposures you describe would not be risky for Hepatitis C- Hep C can be transmitted sexually- but predominantly with anal sex/ mucosa injury/ exchange of blood.

HIV would also be very uncommon- kissing is not generally a risk for HIV, and oral sex is generally rather safe- the risk with oral sex is likely under 1 in 10 000.

There is some risk for gonorrhea, or syphilis ( and much less for chlamydia) with oral sex- especially if you develop a sore throat I would be tested for these organisms.

To reassure yourself, you can certainly be tested for HIV- but the risk is extremely low.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Thank you for your response. If I were your patient, would you recommend an HIV test or would ordering the test function only to allay my anxiety? If the later is the case, I would choose not to do the test.

I would likely order the test, if only to completely reassure you.

Which HIV test is recommended and could it be done anonymously? If a condom is used properly, will it prevent HIV transmission during oral and anal sex? Thanks for you kind help!!

I would recommend a standard HIV ELISA test- this can be done through any doctor's office, or any clinic.

There is an approved home test- "Home access" which is also highly accurate and reliable and involves you sending in a blood spot, and you are only identified by a code number.

http://www.homeaccess.com/HIV_Test.asp

Condoms are very effective, as long as they are used properly- before any exchange of secretions and without breakage.

Good luck.

How long after the possible exposure is it optimal to do the "home access" test? I have a friend who is a physician (not infectious disease specialist). What specific blood tests should I ask him to order to rule out syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia in the event that I develop a sore throat? You are a lifesaver, thanks...

Your friend the physician could order all the tests , including the HIV test if you wanted to go that way, rather than the mail in kit.

I would do an RPR and syphilis antibody for syphilis

For gonorrhea and chlamydia- I would do a throat swab only of you had a sore throat- and have it sent for gonorrhea and chlamydia PCR.

Hope that helps.

I've heard that the home access or conventional blood test for HIV may be falsely negative if done right after the presumed exposure. Should I wait a certain amount of time before getting an HIV test? Thanks again for your kindness...
your response to the above question should wrap things up...

All HIV antibody tests can be negative if tested while in the 'window" period-

That is why we general test about 4-6 weeks after an exposure and then again about 3 months after the exposure.

But the first test- over 95% are positive ( that will be positive) and by 3 months well over 99% are.

Even though you estimate my risk of HIV to be very low, is there any medicine that I could take at this early stage to optimize my chances of not contracting HIV if I have been exposed? Should I also wait 4-6 weeks before doing the sypilis blood tests? Thanks...
Your response to the above question is much appreciated.

No other medications at this point for PEP are needed.

I would test for syphilis also after a couple weeks.

TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)