HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get Answers to Your HIV and AIDS Questions

HIV and AIDS

If a female has chlamydia and HIV, is it possible to only

Customer Question
transmit the chlamydia and not...
If a female has chlamydia and HIV, is it possible to only transmit the chlamydia and not the HIV to someone without chlamydia and HIV negative?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
7/25/2011
HIV and AIDS Expert: TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)

Yes-

Both the chlamydia bacteria and HIV can be co- transmitted, or only one, or neither.

In general the rate of transmission of chlamydia from a woman to a man is about 32% (and from a man to a woman about 40%) from a single unprotected sexual exposure.

The rate of HIV transmission is much less- in general 5 to 10 per 10 000 with penile/ vaginal intercourse.

I hope that helps.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

if chlamydia is know to be transferred, does this higher the chance of the HIV to be transferred or is there no significance?

If chlamydia is transferred, there may be a higher rate of HIV transmission- HIV viral levels tend to be higher in the genital secretions with co-infections.

But again it is not a guarantee- HIV may or may not be transmitted as well. There is no guarantee either way.

TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)