TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

2 years ago I slept with a girl twice who I later "THINK"

Hello - 2 years ago I slept with a girl twice who I later "THINK" she may have had HIV. It was normal sex. 9-12 weeks later I had a Rapid HIV test where the people came to my house and tested me via a saliva swap. Since then I've been in a committed relationship.
I know the proper response is to get retested but I'm too afraid.
What are the real chanced I contracted HIV?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 6 years ago.

Hello-

The chance that you are infected is quite low.

The rapid tests are very sensitive, and so a negative test at 12 weeks is close to 99% accurate. Very few people would become positive after that, related to an exposure 3 months before.

Of course, as you know, being retested would be the most definite answer- but I would guess your risk is extremely low.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the answer - last question. My mind is playing tricks on me and I'm walking around paranoid...

What about if it was 9 weeks after exposure? I cant remember if it was 9 or 12 weeks. Does it make a big difference?

By 9 weeks it is still over 95% sensitive.

We generally do a follow up test at 3 months- so if it was much less than that, a repeat is advised.

Still low risk, but the timing does make a difference.

Good luck.