TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

I had sex last night with a. I used a condom, however at one

Hello, I had sex last night with a prostitute. I used a condom, however at one point I pulled out and the condom was not on my penis. I do not know if it slipped off when I pulled out or during intercourse. Now I am a nervous wreck.
Can you tell me how risky this episode was in terms of getting hiv or a std.
Please help!!!
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 6 years ago.

Hello-

Overall, it sounds like your risk is fairly low, but I would not say 0.

The risk of HIV would be extremely low.

But if the prostitute had chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, or herpes, slippage of the condom for a brief period would place you at some risk. I would say low still since the exposure sounds to have been extremely brief, but of course I could not say 0.

Of course to be sure, it would be reasonable to be tested- including testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and HIV- with HIV testing repeated at 1 and 3 months post exposure.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. How soon can I have tests done for std's after my exposure?

You can be tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia within a couple days.

HIV testing usually would entail a "baseline" test to verify your status from before this exposure. It takes a couple weeks for the antibody test to be postive , on the highly unlikely chance you were infected, so we usually advise testing at 1 and 3 months ( in addition to a baseline test).

Good luck.