HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get Answers to Your HIV and AIDS Questions

HIV and AIDS

Went to a free clinic several times and it has bothered me

that i somehow think the...
went to a free clinic several times and it has bothered me that i somehow think the so-called "one-use,"square lancet has been tampered with. What's on my brain is probably just guilt from bothering these people but i'm concerned enough to ask. Can contaminated blood be "added" to the spring-loaded lancet (or dried blood) and is the penetration of the blade or tip on my finger deep enough to be of harm even if it were possible? ready for a stern correction, but not laughs Thanks! Art
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/10/2011
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)

Hello-

First off, I would suspect it is highly unlikely that the lancet was contaminated. This would be a major infection control error and a complete break in standard protocol.

Such an exposure could be a source of transmission of Hepatitis B, hepatitis C or HIV, but the likelihood of this having happened is extremely unlikely.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

well yes, but is it possible to purposely tamper with it and what about the depth of penetration on the ring finger please

If you are implying that someone purposely used a contaminated lancet- well that would be possible and could transmit infections as I noted above.

Again, highly unlikely, and that would imply some seriously malicious behavior.

It would not need to be deep to transmit infectious virus, if a lancet was contaminated.

I am sure you can realize how paranoid this sounds.

Very unlikely.

TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)