How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheBugDoctor Your Own Question
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Category: HIV and AIDS
Satisfied Customers: 1747
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
Type Your HIV and AIDS Question Here...
TheBugDoctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son lives in thailand and has been with the samw girl for

Resolved Question:

My son lives in thailand and has been with the samw girl for 4 years. She has lost a lot of weight in the last 2 years and her finger nails started to fall out. She went for tests and found she was HIV positive. My son is yet to be tested but is afraid. They are a devoted couple and her girl friends believes she had been infected some years prior to meeting my son. They are both in shock. She will get free treatment in thailand but my son won't. We do not know what to do , particularly as our son is completely devoted to his girlfriend. We want to help but don't know what to do. Can you please advice us.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 6 years ago.


That is a very difficult situation.

The first step is he does absolutely need to get tested- It is always better to know than just to ignore. And if we diagnose someone as having HIV, the earlier they get on treatment, they usually do better than those that wait until they develop symptoms ( like weight loss or infections such as pneumonia or TB or meningitis) at an advanced stage of disease.


Seeing a doctor who is knowledgable about HIV , if he is infected, can tell him what the status of his immiune system is, and what medications he can/ should take.


As far as not having health coverage in Thailand- that is a more difficult issue. If he is there as a teacher, then I cannot see any way he would easily have access to health care in Thailand, other than paying by cash fee for service. I am not very familiar with their system but do know they have clinics and hospitals that cater to foreigners- and are quite good quality. But of course it would demand payment.


His best option may indeed be to return to his home country.

But again, getting tested is the first step.


Good luck.


Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

TheBugDoctor and other HIV and AIDS Specialists are ready to help you