TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

In the past I've had negative HIV/AIDS testing. I recently

In the past I've had negative HIV/AIDS testing. I recently became ill with an unknown fever that lasted a month. I stayed in the hospital for several days and they did a lot of blood work and a CAT Scan. The scan showed an enlarged spleen and the HIV test came back interminate results. If I've previously had negative testing, could I still contact HIV. I've been married for 13 years and have had only two partners in 24 years.

If your test was indeterminate, then I agree with it being re-checked.

If it remains indeterminate and the western blot is negative, then I would not worry.

If you had recently been infected, then an indeterminate test could be the result, before it turns positive- but generally an ELISA is positive within a couple weeks to a month of infection. In some it takes up to 3 months to be positive.

An indeterminate test would be from any number of other infections-or autoimmune disorders.

As far as HIV goes, the only way to know is to be retested. You may want to also consider having an HIV PCR done- as it may also be more accurate in recent/ early infection.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. If it comes back positive, then I've recently been infected?

You stated that "An indeterminate test would be from any number of other infections-or autoimmune disorders." Could just a virus cause an indeterminate test? What other autoimmune disorders would cause an indeterminate result? They have no idea why I had a FUO but it lasted a full month with a fever ranging between 99.7-103.5. It was highest at the begining and only got lower the last week until it stopped.

I appreciate your prior response and will accept your answer. I just don't know how this works and wanted to ask a further question in case I only get one shot for the fee.

Thank you!

If it comes back positive - and we know that you were negative before, then indeterminate, then yes, it would suggest a recent infection.

Absolutely- nonspecific non-HIV viruses can cause an indeterminate result- Especially if the confirmatory WB test is negative, this would be the most common explanation. Some of these viruses could also explain your fever..... Several autoimmune conditions like lupus or Sjogren's have been associated with false positive HIV ELISA tests- but the WB would still be negative in these cases.

And yes- you are allowed to ask follow up questions if you still have them :)

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just had an appointment with an Infectious Disease doctor. Apparently when I was in the hospital they did an ELISA test that came back negative. They also did an HIV test right before discharge. That test came back positive. They then sent me for a Western Blot test that came back undetermined. Now they just had me do a viral load test. Both my regular doctor and the Infectious Disease doctor believe I'm safe since I have no history of any reason to have HIV. In reading about the viral load test, it states that is taken to see how much the HIV has already been in your body. Now I'm confused!!!! I have it, I don't, I have it, I don't! I really thought these tests were very accurate but I'm finding this just the opposite! Can you explain this to me?

Which test "came back positive"?

Was it an ELISA or a Western Blot?

Are you saying you have a positive ELISA and an indeterminate WB?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had a negative ELISA and it should of ended there however right before discharge they did an HIV, A, Ab by Western Blot and a HIV-1/HIV-2 AB. This came back interminate results. They then did a Western Blot test that also came back interminate. So now they are doing a viral load.

I will again ask you to be clear and specific.

Which test came back "indeterminate"?- the ELISA? or the WB? or both?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Western Blot was indeterminate. The Elisa was negative and done 1st.

If the ELISA is negative, generally no further testing is needed.

If the WB as well is not positive, which it is not, this is even more evidence that you are negative.

Most experts would say that no further testing is needed- so I am not sure why the PCR was done. It looks to detect the viral RNA- so it is quite specific.
But in your case it is not needed...

Goof luck

Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,