Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a Perkins 4.108 that is seized up. I am taking it out…

I have a Perkins...

I have a Perkins 4.108 that is seized up. I am taking it out to rebuild. Can I just take the engine apart at the bell housing and leave the transmission intact

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Perkins 4.108. 1987 49hp.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. The thing is that partially taken apart. The head is off. And I need to take the engine out

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Can I just take the engine apart at the bell housing and leave the transmission alone

7/6/2021
Technician: JoshD429, Heavy Truck/Equipment Mechanic replied 1 year ago
JoshD429
JoshD429, Heavy Truck/Equipment Mechanic

Hello, welcome to Just Answer.I’m Josh,I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble. I will try my best to help you today.

If I’m understanding you correctly,you want to know if you can leave the transmission bolted to the bellhousing?Or pull the motor out of the vehicle and leave the transmission in place?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the engine is in a sailboat so I don't want to take out anything I don't have to

I don’t know what transmission/drive you have but  as long as you are able to pull it straight forward you should be ok.They are usually mated with a coupler of sort so they can be removed separately.

What is your application exactly?

Yes,looks like it’s a coupler.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I just unbolt it and get it ready with a come along undo the front engine mounts I should be able to lift it up

That’s what it looks like,yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

You bet.Hopefully she will slide right apart for you with no issues.Thank you for using Just Answer.Have a great night!

Excellent.Hopefully you’ll be sailing soon.Thank you for using Just Answer.Have a great day!

JoshD429