Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a Deere 328 skid steer it will not start on the menu…

Customer Question
I have a john Deere...
I have a john Deere 328 skid steer it will not start on the menu the park brake switch is working
the sol. on the hydro filter is turn on by the key switch on not the park brake switch I have 12 volts to the hydro sol. but the park brake light in the console will not go out. (new brake switch)
.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
3/13/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
If the park brake releases but the light does not go out and first thoroughly inspect the wiring harness and connector pins for shorted wiring or damaged or corroded connector pins. Test all your fuses and check your relays. Is this a no crank no start issue as well? If so be sure to test all your safety switches for the safety interlock circuit and the wiring harness for that circuit as well. Test for power in and out of the ignition switch to the starter solenoid small s terminal with the switch in the cranking position. If the battery and cables all tests good and you have power at the solenoid s terminal then that indicates a faulty starter solenoid if the starter motor will not crank with the S terminal powered. If there is no voltage at the S terminal then the problem is going to be either in the ignition switch circuit or the safety interlock circuit most likely. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how they say credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated
IF THE PARK LIGHT IN THE CONSOLE DOES NOT GO OUT NOTHING WILL START!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
I understand that... If the safety interlock switches and wiring are not engaged in making contact then the park light will never go out
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Do you have the anti-theft system on your machine?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

What do you have logged for fault codes?

NO! INTERLOCK CODE F974 , BUT IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

F974 is not an interlock circuit code. F974 code indicates that the alternator voltage is out of range high. Test your battery with a digital tester and inspect your battery to starter cables and grounds. Test the alternator to be sure it is charging 1-2 volts above battery voltage with engine running and not overcharging, etc. With the symptoms you are having if the wiring harness and switches test good you could have a software related issue in the controller. JD Service advisor diagnostic software will be needed to be hooked up for any updates or reflashing or a possible faulty controller. If you have charging system problems it can also cause problems with the controller . Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.