Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a 2010 Freightliner cascadia dd13 and having problems…

Customer Question
I have a 2010 Freightliner...
I have a 2010 Freightliner cascadia dd13 and having problems on a cold start the truck is not missing but after 3 miles it will lose power and start to misfire.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
3/9/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Response times can vary depending on my workload etc as professionals are not employees of the site. Please post all fault codes you have logged in your ECM memory
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Also if you have no fault codes then what you need to check for is your fuel supply and return for air entering the system and low fuel pressure. Install a clear hose or sight glass to monitor for air bubbles in the system as there should be little to none. Low fuel supply pressure will cause a misfire as well as faulty injectors or an electrical issue to the injectors. If on the electrical side of things you will likely have injector misfire codes logged in the ECM. Check for those things and let me know as we can follow up as needed. Please remember to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Spn652 fmi 14
Spn653 fmi 14
Driving the truck with no 48ft flatbed is good. Then when we hook up the flatbed trailer it drives good for 3-5 minutes then it will drop to 30mph and start to misfire.
But these codes show up when it goes into derate mode. Then when the engine cools down within 15 minutes the codes go away.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
1.1 SPN 652/FMI 14
This diagnosis is typically an open circuit, short to ground or short to power check.
1.1.1 Open Circuit, Short to Ground or Short to Power Check
Check as follows:
1. Check for multiple codes.
[a] If fault code 168/1 is active in addition to other codes, service 168/1 first.
Refer to section .
If fault 651/14 and 653/14 are active in addition to 652/14, go to step 2.
[c] If only fault code 652/14 is active, go to step 10.
2. Turn the ignition OFF (key OFF, ignition OFF).
3. Disconnect the Front Injector Harness 12–pin connector.
4. Inspect the Front Injector Harness 12–pin connector for bent or spread pins, inspect the
connector seal for damage (signs of water or oil intrusion).
[a] If water or oil intrusion, bent or spread pins are found, repair as necessary.
Refer to section 1.1.1.1.
If connector shows no signs of damage, go to step 5.
5. Measure the resistance between pins 10 and 1 on the valve cover side of the Front Injector
Harness. If using J-48671–10, measure between injector #2 pins 1 and 2.
[a] If the resistance is greater than 3 Ω, replace the under valve cover injector
harness.Refer to section 1.1.1.1.
If the resistance is less than 3 Ω, go to step 6.
6. Disconnect the MCM 120–pin connector.
7. Measure the resistance between pin 11of the MCM 120–pin connector and pin 10 of the
Front Injector Harness 12–pin connector. See Figure 1-1.
[a] If the resistance is less than 3 Ω, go to step 8.
If the resistance is greater than 3 Ω, repair the open between pin 11 of the MCM
120–pin connector and pin 10 of the Front Injector Harness 12–pin connector.
Refer to section 1.1.1.1.
8. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
9. Measure the resistance between the positive battery post and pin 11of the MCM 120–pin
connector.
[a] If the resistance is greater than 3 Ω, contact the Detroit Diesel Customer service
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Click for the troubleshooting steps
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Also for the 653 code.
That is for a Detroit 60 Series right? I have a Cascadia DD13 Detroit.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Click below for EPA 10. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.