Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

Probably 3 months ago i talk to u about my truck, it could…

Customer Question
hello, probably 3 months ago...
hello, probably 3 months ago i talk to u about my truck, it could not start, so decide to buy another engine but it start ok but now when u change from 3rd to 4th gear something like that the service light start blanking and power decrease and slow down i have to let go of the gas pedal and start over. even on if you are driving on a hill you feel there is something that keeping the car from going full throttle. for me it is acting like a gasoline car that have bad spark plug. please let me know because the car is outside the country and i can not find someone that can fix. once again , it's start ok but it loss power from 3rd to 4th gear or if u re diving on a hill , service light start flashing automatically it loss power and u have to let go of the gas pedal for a couple minutes and start over until u reach again a certain RPM.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
1/5/2018
Technician: Gm_Tech17,
 replied 6 months ago
Gm_Tech17

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing you question and would be happy to assist you.

Technician: Gm_Tech17,
 replied 6 months ago

What is the year, make and model of your vehicle

The engine on it now it is a 2001 cat 3126 model t6500
Technician: Gm_Tech17,
 replied 6 months ago

I will opt out and maybe another expert can help you...i'm not familiar with Caterpillar at all

Ok
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. Let me know what you have logged for fault codes.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Click this link for the procedure to try for flash codes if no access to a scan tool. Let me know what you get.

Flash codes

Also check for fuel leaks and restrictions and confirm the fuel pressure is in specs as well as no drop in boost pressure or leaks in the intake piping or loss of boost pressure. Let me know.

Yeah no fuel leak. Pressure is ok. Truck is outside the US, I am here now I am trying to talk on the phone to explain how to fix it. So any tape will do n will try it. It start fine , it is only after switching 3rd n 4th or going with a load on a hill , service light start flashing n it loss power so u have to let go of the gas pedal . It is a dump truck by the way . Anything please let me know.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

The fault codes will be helpful... Could be a loss of VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) signal to the ECM, fuel pressure related, low boost pressure, loss of TPS sensor signal, etc.... There might be a fault code that helps narrow it down to a particular circuit.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Check VSS , TPS, and engine speed sensor signal and try to get the fault codes logged in the ECM memory. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

yeah i don't have access to a scanner in that country to be able to find any code, that is why i was hoping by experience if u never had a situation like that.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Thanks for the update. Yes, but can be multiple possible causes. Without a scanner you can try flash codes counting the check engine light flashes for the two digit fault code which can help identify the problem circuit. Check for air in the suction side of the fuel system or low fuel pressure from a faulty transfer pump or regulator as well as for leaks and restrictions. Also the throttle position sensor and wiring from the throttle pedal, Engine and transmission speed sensors and wiring. Lastly and injector or ECM problem could cause this as well. Check exhaust port temps with a digital temp reader for any cold cylinders indicating poor combustion. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.