Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

We have a Terex SS842, manufactured in 1999. A couple of…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a Terex...
Hi, we have a Terex SS842, manufactured in 1999. A couple of questions, do you know what the last 4 digits of the serial number stand for? Is that the unit number made that year? Also, there is a chain on the top of the boom called a "copy chain", it is smaller than the main chain and connects through a gear at the back. This chain has snapped. Can it be replaced without taking the telescopic sections apart?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
12/10/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the serial number?

What is your experience working on Terex SS842 telehandlers? I specifically requested help from Curtis B., from his previous replies on the website.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

I have experience on all makes and models. I asked for a serial number to access the correct schematics and test info so you get the correct information.Lets see, I was field service for Cat, Worked for Komatsu, JCB, Deere, Volvo, multiple other lines including Terex, Genie, Lull, and some major aggregate and heavy highway contractors. I also have most of the service books for these machines.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Ill opt out so Curtis can grab it..

I'm not opposed to having someone else help me, but I really need someone familiar with this specific Terex SS842 Square Shooter telehandler. I spoke with Genie on Friday and they no longer support it, nor do they have anyone there that knows much about them. They only offer the parts, service and operators manual from their website, which I've downloaded, but the service manual is sparse.
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager

Dan may have given you a better answer than I. The s/n means nothing, just the serial number in the sequence of the build. Has nothing to do with year model. As far as the Copy chain, it can be replaced without disassembling the boom if you can get to the ends, and take then loose, use a wire or rope on the old chain, to have a way to pull the new chain into place,

Ok, good deal, the reason I asked about the SN number is ***** Genie has 3 different manuals for these telehandlers made in 1999 based on date. The first one is for units manufactured after March 31, 1999, the second after Oct 18, 1999 and the third after Dec 28, 1999. My SN is 991428, so I assume it was the 1428th unit made in 1999, but not knowing how many were made, I have no idea what manual to download.In regards ***** ***** copy chain, we noticed it was snapped after we purchased the unit. It appears one end connects to the rear (which we have access to), but I have no idea where the other end connects. It looks like it runs on the top of the outer telescope, hits a small gear near the front and circles back inside towards the back somewhere. I was not able to determine the location from the service manual because it only shows the rear connection. I also have no idea what purpose the copy chain serves?Thanks!

The date will not matter on the copy chain, they are all alike. So download any of the three. See the parts bok, showing the chain attachment location.

I have the parts and service manual and do not see any diagram or view where the inner part of the copy chain attaches. Do you know where it attaches? Do you know the purpose of the copy chain?

In parts book, section 9, is all that shows the chain and its route. Not clear as to where it is attached. It is used as a supporting chain, to keep the main chain tensioned. much like a pull/push would.

Ok, do you know anyone that works on these Terex units that could tell me where the front part of the chain attaches and how to access that location without taking the boom apart? In regards ***** ***** serial number, do you know how many units were made in 1999? There are 3 parts books and even more operator manuals for this specific year. I'm trying to determine when ours was made so we can use the correct manuals. There must be some differences between the manuals.Thanks again.

Only Terex would know how many units were made. And there are few Terex dealers. We had a fleet with the SS842's and in the 5 years I was the service manager, we never replaced a chain! I really don't think it makes any difference as to which parts manual you use. Can you extend the boom? I would stretch it out and remove the access covers and look for the chain attachment location.

There are no access covers on the exterior boom, only at the back, and that is where one end of the chain attaches. As you move forward on the boom, there is a sprocket that I would assume the chain rides on and circles back towards the rear. We're not able to start the machine right now, waiting on parts.

OK>

Are you aware of any other identification mechanisms on these units that would give us an idea of what part of 1999 it was manufactured?

No, what is the parts manual showing as to dates?

There are three different parts manuals for 1999. one for units made after March 31, another for units made after October 1, then another one for after December. Do you know for sure if the four digits after 99 in the serial number refer to anything else other than a sequence number?

It does not refer to anything , other than the sequence of machines built. With it being 1428, it would be later and not the early run, so go with the highest s/n manual.

The only thing I need to know is where the front chain connects? That’s pretty important for me. I know you said it can be replaced without taking the boom apart, but that is not super helpful.

You say unit can't be started? With the engine running, the boom can be extended to full length and you can see the chain attachment link.

Parts should arrive tomorrow. We'll run and see if we can find the forward copy chain attachment. If so, we're all good, thanks.

OK let me know.

Hi, we were able to start the machine, move the boom and locate the copy chain attachment points. We ordered a replacement chain and it wasn't a big deal to reinstall. The operators manual also told us how to calibrate, so all good. The main chain was also out of tolerance and could not be tightened to spec, so we've ordered a new main chain and are waiting for it to arrive. We have another issue that we're trying to resolve and it's kicking us in the butt. We have what is called a shaft brake on the rear left of the machine, it is free floating cylinder (non-hydraulic) that locks with a hydraulic squeeze bushing. We're not exactly sure how it works, only that cylinder is supposed to ride back and forth as the boom extends and retracts, but the cylinder system it rides on is getting bound and shearing the mount bolts on the bottom of the cylinder. I'm hoping you know how this setup works; I can send photos if it will help. I know this is above the initial question, but I'll be happy to increase the answer rate if we can sort this issue out.Thanks!

Attach pictures, I don't think I have ever seen this setup. I wonder what its purpose is? Safety brake if boom hoses break?

Please see attached images.I'm not quite sure. I think the idea is to lock the vertical cylinder in place, and when the boom retracts or extends, it rides back on forth on the top and bottom slide assemblies. There is a valve that attaches to the vertical cylinder shaft brake that sits in a channel and I can only assume it detects if the cylinder binds when riding and releases the brake. The issue now is with brake on, it doesn't work, and with the brake off, when the cylinder rides on the slide assemblies, it binds and shears the bottom cylinder mount bolts because it beings to tilt, instead of slide. It would be awesome to find someone who really knows these lifts inside and out. Having a tough time figuring certain items out.Thanks again!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager