Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

On my boat, I have a Perkins 6.3544 series diesel 135 hp. I…

On my boat, I...

On my boat, I have a Perkins 6.3544 series diesel 135 hp. I found a machine bolt, 3 1/2 in x 3/8 in with lock washer, under the rear part of the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Where could it have come from?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I checked, and couldn't find anything obviously missing from the engine.

12/6/2017
spanky
spanky, Journeyman

Hi, my name is ***** ***** for your question.I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

There's 2 places it could have come from, either a starter mounting bolt, or a drive mounting bolt that would go to back off engine

I'll check these possible locations.

sounds good

Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

I've checked both locations as best I can, and didn't find where the bolt came from. You may be correct, but I couldn't get complete access the first time I tried. I'll again.

Those are the only 2 places that use that size bolt.

If the bolt is dirty it may have been left there from someone dropping it and it's easier to install another sometimes than retrieving dropped bolt

If starter bolts are in place it won't hurt anything to run with one of the drive bolts missing since there are 10-12 of those.

It may also help to use a mirror to view ones you can't see very well.

click here

Rating does not close the question and does not cost you anything more
the money you already paid was to just answer, just answer only shares
with expert with a positive rating.

You said there are only two places where that size bolt is used; one is the starter bracket - what is the other location?

drive mounting bolt that would go to back off engine

The drive unit bolts to back of engine with those bolts

Spankyjr1,
Thank you for your suggestions, but so far have not been able to see where the extra bolt came from. I asked you if you have access to a list of the bolts on the engine, and see where a 3 1/2 in x 3/8 in bolt is used - that would make it easy to locate.

When did you ask if I have access to a list of the bolts on the engine?

I don't see that

You said you found under the rear part of engine

You may also want to look at oil pan bolts, front cover bolts, and exhaust manifold bolts

The condition of bolt can help with identifying were it may have come out if it actually came out and was not left there by accident

spanky
spanky, Journeyman
spanky
spanky
spanky, Journeyman