Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

2010 C13 regen problem! changed filter fittings ,ARD HEAD…

Customer Question
2010 C13 regen problem...
2010 C13 regen problem ! changed filter fittings ,ARD HEAD AND PLUG AND SENSORS STARTS TO REGEN FOR 3 MINUTES THEN SHUTS OFF ! CHANGED FUEL ENABLED VALVE AND PILOT VALVE
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
10/2/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert replied 10 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
What codes are you getting when it stops regening?
3473 3719 3703
THEY WILL NOT CLEAR ,HAD A 640B CODE ALSO LOW OIL PRESSURE ?
Thanks for the information.
3719 is a DPF soot loading code. This will go away once a regen completes.
3703 is a code for the regen inhibit switch turned on. You just need to turn it off
3473 is a failure to ignite. This can be caused by a bad spark plug, bad ard head, or bad coil. I would try testing the spark to the ATS head. If it's good. You may have a bad out of the box are head. 1 out of every 4 ard heads I purchase is bad out of the box.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
HOW CAN I CHECK SPARK AT PLUG OR COIL
You can use a spark tester exactly like the one used on cars. That's what Cat says to use. I've use it all the time.
THE COILS GO BAD??
does the wiring between the coil and spark plug. It pretty much works just like a gasoline spark plug.
ILL TEST IT WITH A TEST LIGHT DURING REGEN
I THOUGHT IS IT STARTS TO REGEN ITS GETTING SPARK?
that's correct. If it is in fact starting a regen. You most likely do not have a spark issue. Not sure why you have a code for failure to ignite if it's starting.
If it's starting a regen. I would suspect it's your are head. Since you have replaced the filter fittings already. I suspect you have a bad out of the box ard head. The only other thing I have seen is a the containment canister right under the ard head is broken off. Make sure the canister is all intact. If it is. I would try another ard head.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
IT STARTS TO RACE UP TO 1500 RPMS AND SMOKES OUT OF EXCHUST IS IT STARTING ITS REGEN?? GOSE FOR ABOUT 3 MIN
IS IT REGENING IF IT RACES UP FOR 3 MIN AND SOME SMOKE OUT OF PIPES ?
No it's not. That's a failure to ignite. That's not regening. There should no smoke when it's doing a regen.
WE HAVE GOOD SPARK !!!
CAN WE PULL A FUEL LINE OFF AND TRY TO REGEN ? SEE IF FUEL IS COMMING OUT?
Thanks for the information.
I must suspect the ard head is faulty. When removed. I would verify the containment canister is intact.
I've have not ever pulled off a fuel line. If you have smoke. I'm sure your getting fuel.
WE TOOK OFF UPPER FUEL LINE TO ARD HEAD NO FUEL AT FIRST THEN WE GOT FUEL THEN IT STOPED ?
Sounds like it's getting fuel.
REPLACED ALL THREE ELC SOLIONDS
WE ARE GOING TO REMOVE THE STEEL LINES THAT FEED THE FUEL BLOCK WERE FILTER FITING ARE AND SEE IF WE REGEN WERE GETING FUEL?
10-4. Let me know how you make out.
TOOK TWO STEEL LINES OFF WERE TO PILOT AND MAIN FUEL SOLIN ARE JUST A FEW DROPS OF FUEL AS WE REGENED ???
WHY ARE WE NOT GETTING FUEL SPRAYING OUT OF THESE LINES ?
To be honest. Anytime there is a fuel problem. I always see fuel codes. I do not believe you have a fuel problem. You would have codes. Plus you are getting smoke out the exhaust.
COULD THE SENSORS IN THE BLOCK WERE THE SOLENOIDS ARE BE NO GOOD ?
The only sensors I have seen cause a regen issue are the temp sensors in the ard head and exhaust pipe. I have seen them read wrong and not regen.
BUT NO FUEL UP TO HEAD ? WE EVEN TOOK THE PLUG OUT AND STUCK SOMTHING IN HOLE AS WE TRYED TO REGEN NO FUEL??
IT CAME OUT DRY?
When the ecm wants to regen it activates the fuel enable valve, the pilot and main valve. There are pressure sensors that tell the ecm there is fuel. When there is no fuel pressure detected, the ecm will set fuel codes.
WE TOOK LINE OFF FROM ENABLE VALVE TRYED TO REGEN NO FUEL IS COMMING OUT ?
How are you trying to regen? With Cat ET?
NO THE CAB SWITCH
Does the engine rev up when you use the cab switch?
FOR 3 MIN
Thanks for the information. Sounds like it's regening.
Only thing that feed the valve is the fuel pump.
good morning ,think we are still having regen trouble now it wont let me regen from the cab switch ??? will I need to get into ot with a cat et?
Sorry your still having trouble. These engines can be very tough to deal with. Using Cat ET is the best way.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.