Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a cat D5C LGP series iii I have installed new brake…

Customer Question
I have a cat D5C...
I have a cat D5C LGP series iii I have installed new brake bands a new steer clutches my problem is one of my operators adjusted the rods and linkages on the firewall for the steer handles and brake pedal I would like to know how to readjust and reset all of the linkages and rods for both the clutch and the break but mainly on the firewall thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
9/8/2017
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 11 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

See the link below for details on the correct rod lengths.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzeWIxc0pzVjg0eTQ

If you need further help, please let me know.

My husband could not access his google drive therefore I'm trying to open the file. Thank you

If you use a different cloud service, I will be glad to upload the file to that service for you.

Just let me know if you cannot open it.

I cannot open the file I'm using an iPhone 6 I just installed Google Drive

I just enable it to you directly, please try again. Sorry for the trouble.

No worries thank you very much let me see if I can see it
I still can't see it keeps telling me I need permission

Sorry, let me try a new link and I will post it back to you.

Thank you very much I appreciate it more than you know I just got it I can see the information I will look at it hopefully that's what I need

I had some trouble with the original upload. I guess it was still stuck and needed a reset.

Thank you

You're welcome. If you need more help, please let me know.

Good afternoon the layout of these pictures is a little difficult to understand if possible can you just let me no the Length of the vertical clutch rod on the firewall and the vertical break rod on the firewall and then the same for the horizontal brake and clutch rods and what exactly does it mean when it says +.06 I assume that is the distance that is left at each end of the rod after the measurement of Centerpoint to Centerpoint

Rods 16 (Brake) are dimension L

Open Cab 16.2 inches. This symbol is the tolerance of .06 of an inch. (1/16 of an inch)

Enclosed Cab 14.4 inches. (The difference is due to the cab uses a different firewall.)

Rods 17 (Hand Lever) are dimension M

Open Cab 16.6 inches.

Enclosed Cab 14.8 inches. Same tolerance of .06 inch.

Step #8 describes the installation of the brake rods (5).

See the attached file for the steering rods. (Sorry, I forgot it was in a second set of instructions.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzcTVSVF9ycEFBWUU

Follow the "Shop Procedure To Adjust Brakes" to the letter. This is the correct way to setup the rods when the unit has been disassembled.

You must set the brake bands correctly at the first step or the dimensions will not work out correctly.

Thank you very much for your response and all your help i'm trying to get my boss to understand you can't do anything without a Book I am 35 years old and solely responsible for the maintenance of a little over 30 pieces of equipment and 15 trucks so I am quite certain we will be talking more in the future

You are absolutely correct. If I didn't have manuals, I wouldn't even be a technician.

The cost of a manual is about the same as a full day field call. Add to that, many jobs take more than one day and then the cost is even less of an issue.

Unless you are updating equipment with new machines regularly, manuals are always a great investment!

If you need more help please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Is the brake and clutch supposed to be applied simultaneously when I pull my steer handle or should the clutch apply then break on an open cab and if I'm understanding this correctly the steering rod and the brake rotor both 16 inches long to center of hole

The steering levers are pushed all the way in and the brake pedals are all the way up when driving. The brakes are always released and the steering clutches are always applied. Moving the levers releases the steering clutch first then, applies the brake band second. When you pull a lever half way out, this should release the steering clutch and allow a gradual turn. When you pull the lever all the way out, this will apply the brake band on the steering clutch drum and force a sharp turn by applying the brake that side. If you had a pedal steer "only" tractor, they would function the same way as the hand controls.

Brake pedals with Hand steering controls can operate differently depending on the different serial numbers. Some models only had one brake pedal, some had three and some brake pedals DO NOT control the steering clutches.

I have one brake pedal and it only controls the break my steering levers control both.
On the 16th measurements I rounding to the nearest show brake rod would be 16 1/16 and steering would be 16 5/16 is this correct

Yes, that should be close enough. The .2 inch could be considered equal to .250 or 1/4 inch. So the tolerance is no more than 16 and 5/16 and no less than 16 and 3/16 inch.

I think the standard arrangement with hand controls should be one brake pedal but, I have seen a couple of odd one in the past.

Most here were all sold without hand controls and it was split between two pedal and three pedal setups.

I am glad now everything is just one hand control on the left for travel and implement control on the right regardless of a tractor, loader or skid-steer. All operate the same way.

I agree Hydrostatic is the way to go I just replaced two pumps in a D4C there's a lot less stuff to take apart

These adjustments and linkages are why the factories want electronic controls. No assembly time, just plug in, calibrate and you're done.