Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I need to know the torque spec for the rod on a 3406E

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know the torque spec for the rod on a 3406E Caterpillar engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

No thats why i need them

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1995 Kenworth 900 B with a 3406 E engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 900 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I just need to know the torque in ft. lbs for the connecting rod. I have been unsuccesful in finding it on line

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
9/3/2017
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 10 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Do you have the serial number of the engine? I only have spec's based on the engine serial number.

If this is a 5EK serial number, use these spec's,

Lubricate the bolt threads and the seating faces of the caps with 4C-5593 Anti-Seize Compound .
Tighten the connecting rod bolts.
Torque for bolts ... 90 ± 9 N·m (66 ± 7 lb ft)

Put a mark on each bolt and each cap.
Tighten each bolt from the mark to angle ... 90 ± 5 degrees (1/4 turn)