Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

What is the oil pressure suppose to be on a 3406b cat idling

Customer Question
what is the oil pressure...
what is the oil pressure suppose to be on a 3406b cat idling at about 700 rpm
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: i cant find the serial number it is 425 HRS 1987 PETERBUILT
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I JUST REBUILT THE ENGINE USED OLD OUMP I AM SUR IT IS THE LOW PRESSUR PUMP IT HASE THE RETARDER BE HIND IT
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
8/23/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert replied 3 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.How much oil pressure do you have at idle? Is the engine cold or warm?
THE TEMP IS WARM I HAVE ABOUT 6 POUNDS AT 600 RPM
Thanks for the information.
Minimum oil pressure hot is 15 psi. If you have 6, that's too low.
I would first make sure the correct rod and main bearings were installed. Many times the crank has been turned and when normal sized bearings are installed. The engine will have low oil pressure.
I would also make sure none of the piston cooling jets have been knocked off.
If all of that's ok. I may try a new oil pump next.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert