Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a ALL-PRO 200T Torpedo heater that I bought from a…

I have a ALL-PRO 200T...
I have a ALL-PRO 200T Torpedo heater that I bought from a neighbor lady. I plug it in and when it tries to start it smokes like crazy white and then flames. I open up the tank and it kind of smells like gas not kerosene. What is the problem?
8/4/2015
Technician: Dan, Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Dan, Mechanic

Well the first thing I would do is replace the fuel with good kerosene. Then try the starting procedure again. It is possible the spark control isn't working correctly but I would inspect the fuel lines for dryrot, check the air filter on the back cover, make sure the spark plug or heated element is working . You should hear or see it spark on start up or it might glow red. The white smoke is just the fuel not igniting and then once it does it burns all the exccessive fuel off making it look like a jet engine for a few minutes.

Dan, Mechanic