Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

2006 freightliner c15 active fault: eng sht hi 128 129 03

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Could you get me your engine serial numbeeer please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i do not have that information on hand. Is there anything else that we can do
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i can have that number in 30 minutes. can you wait?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.
Sure no problem.

The reason I asked about the serial number is I do not see a 129-3 code on the C15 list. Could you double check the fault number?

Sure I can wait.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i will check that and let you know. thank you
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.
Sure. No problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

engine umber MXS37085

active code: eng sht hi 128 129 03

Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

I'm sorry. Code 129-03 is not on the code list for an MXS engine. I must assume that code is for something else.

One thing we can do is try and pull the flash codes from the engine ECM. If you have never done this. Here is how.

Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:

1. Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.

2. Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.

3. Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.

The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.

Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.

Let me know what 2 digit code you get and I can tell you what it means.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the number is 95
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Code 95 indicates there is a fault with the Intake Valve Actuation Oil Pressure sensor circuit. I have seen this before. The most likely cause of this code is a faulty sensor. The Intake Valve Actuation Oil Pressure Sensor is located on top of the engine near the front. It has three wires. I would inspect the harness and make sure it is OK. If it is, I would change the sensor.

Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my driver can't see the sensor can you please give me more detailed info on where that is. is that located near the radiator thermostat or ac compressor?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.

Sure no problem.

It is right beside the thermostat housing. If he follows the top rad hose to the top of the engine. He will see the 3 wire sensor behind the thermostat housing. It's in from of the turbo right on top of the engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. he founded. One last question. can we still drive the truck or is that something that has to be done asap. ( we are in florida and trying to get to IL to fixit)
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 years ago.
I always like to get things like this fixed soon but this code is not as serious as other codes. It can be driven. You will most likely notice low power with the engine while driving though.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you very much for your help. We will try to fix the problem asap.

Thank You.