Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I have a Nissan propane forklift. My driver ran it without…

Customer Question
I have a Nissan propane...
I have a Nissan propane forklift. My driver ran it without turning the tank on and it obviously stalled. Now it will not start at all. It has brand new distributor , plugs and a new IPCO J vaporizer.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
4/26/2012
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago
Daniel Wilson
HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name is***** will try to help. First check for spark at your plugs. If you are getting spark than it is possible that you arent getting gas through your valve at the connector. With a full tank of propane, you should be able to get the lift to start even after running out of propane. Make sure your valve is opening and you are getting gas to the regulator. Re check your connections. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer:

I am getting spark. I pulled off the gas tube which goes to the carburetor and it has gas pressure. Can it be that we have overprimed the engine.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

What model lift and engine is this? Do you have the Model and SN?

Customer:

I will get it

Customer:

Nissan

Customer:

Nissan Model CPJ02A25PV

Customer:

Nissan Serial number CPJ02-9R1590

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Ok thanks for the info. Let me see what I can come up with for information. I will get back to you. In the meantime, check your lines and filter for restrictions.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Disconnect the the supply hose and inspect the seals and the fitting. Check for leaks with soapy water on re installation. Open the tank valve slowly as opening it quickly can activate the pressure check valve causing restricted flow.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

You could also have a problem with your regulator or mixing valve. However I do not have the manual for your lift. I am going to pass this along to another expert that could better assist your with specifics to your particular lift. Do not reply back or it will just bounce back to me. Thanks for using JA

Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. Lets check a couple of things, first check the bottle connection on the forklift, this female connection that goes on the bottle should have NO gaskets or o'rings, just a shiny stem with a flat washer at the bottom of the stem. All the seals are in the bottle itself. If gasket or o'ring gets stuck when removing the old bottle, the connection will not open the new bottle. If that is ok, on the vaporizer in the center , is a small spring loaded valve, does it push easily or does it have some pressure? Or doe it not move at all?
It's an IMPCO Model J vaporizor and is only 2 months old. I do not see any valve to push
Did you check the bottle connections? The Model J should have the primer button in the center, see this group, Third one down. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=impco+model+j
the bottle connection is fine. The Model J looks like the second one down and does not have a primer button. There is gas pressure all the way to the carburator.
Good vacuum lines? No freezing up of the vaporizer? Fuel to the carburetor has to be in ounces of pressure, not pounds. The carburetor has diaphragm in it that can rupture, has it been checked? The problem with propane is you can't see it, too much and engine will flood, too little and won't fire. Will engine fire on starting fluid?
The diapragm is fine I pushed it down and gas escaped . Then it closed .
If the engine flooded what do you do about it ? I don't have any starting fluid at this time.
Turn the fuel off at the tank and try to crank up. If it starts, then open tank slowly.
Didn't start. Are ther pvc valves on these things that can get stuck.
PCV valve is located in the rocker cover, but I doubt it has any affect on this no start problem. You say you replaced the distributor? You sure the engine is in time? Remove the # 1 plug, and the distributor cap, turn engine and observe where the cylinder blows compression in relation to the rotor position. Rotor should be very close to the # 1 wire on the distributor cap.
Did you get unit running?
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager