catguru8201
catguru8201, Technician
Experience:  7 years of troubleshooting many different Caterpillar equipment models. If you need to know something about a CAT, just ask me!
62274170

I have discovered that my Cat 277 skidsteer is not equipted

Customer Question

I have discovered that my Cat 277 skidsteer is not equipted with the continuous flow option for the remote hydraulics. Can I install an on/off/on toggle switch to make the temporary control, continous. If so what wires do I connect? If not, what do I do?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catguru8201 replied 5 years ago.

Can you provide the serial number so I can see what is available?

Pretty sure you will need to install the proportional roller wheel on the right hand joystick to get variable flow if you want to lock it at anything less than maximum flow. The on/off button only turn the auxiliary solenoids on fully to provide maximum flow.

I'm looking deeper into it but you will definitely need a momentary contact switch to provide a ground to the correct pin at the auxiliary ecm. If the ground is there for more than 30 seconds you get a fault.

You can get the(NNN) NNN-NNNNcontinuous flow/interlock override switch from a CAT dealer. It should install in the rearmost switch position on the upper left panel. There will be orange, pink, white, yellow, black, and purple wires to it in the panel. The P993 orange goes to the ecm to enable continuous flow. It is just grounded when the switch it pressed. You activate the function then press the switch which sends a ground signal to the ECM.

You should be able to simulate that without the switch by grounding that wire in the panel while the auxiliary button is pressed. Any switch can do that. Just remember you will get faults if it is grounded more than 30 sec.

If you want to go to the proportional control handle to modulate auxiliary flow, you will need to have a dealer or someone with CAT ET software involved because the software need to be reconfigured to allow the proportional control. If you want to go that route, I can provide the part numbers.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am running a shredder and it is hard to keep my thumb on the switch on the joystick, and control the attachment. Which is the best route? Provide me with whatever part numbers I need. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The serial no. is 277JCNC01665
Should be fine with max flow to it then. You should be able to purchase the 1948168 switch and install it in the panel location described above the wiring should be behind the blanking plug.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help, you really are a guru!
Anytime.. I guess you were able to make it work. Glad I could help.