Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

I have a John Deere 310 B. The starter solenoid wont work.

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 310 B. The starter solenoid won't work. It use to be that if I jumped the two poles on it, it would fire up. Knowing the key switch was probably bad, I replaced it. Turning the key to aux, the two red lights on the dash light up bright. Turn the key to the right to start position and they are very dim. I have 12&1/2 volts to the solenoid attached to the starter. I have good ground. I'm wondering if it is the solenoid or a starter relay that might be the problem or some safty feature, even though it is in park. Any suggestions would be appreciated as, I can't see a relay or any safety apperatus.
Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
2/11/2012
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 5 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman
Hi I'm Wayne,
I will help you with this,
Good afternoon,
Put a volt meter on the battery side of solenoid, and turn key to start
note voltage ,
Then go to small wire on solenoid same thing, note voltage there also
Let me know

Ok, with the key off, I have 12.3 volts at the battery side of the solenoid.

With the key on, I have 9.7 volts at the same post.

With key on, I have 0, zero volts on the small post.

I have the original solenoid in place now however, I have bought a new one but they

won't exchange it even if it's not the problem so thought I find out if a relay or some other problem might exist and where they're located before installing the new Solenoid.

Thanks

9.7 volts is too low you need 12.6 + volts
try running a temp. jumper wire from starter to battery POS. Side
I believe your battery wire is no good

Will do. but when the key is off I have 12.3 volts yet only 9.7 when the key is on at the same post.

Also on this model tractor, with the key switch there is also a starter button which I replaced.

9.7v is too low, it is loosing it some where ,
if the battery voltage is 12.8v normal,
voltage at starter solenoid should be 12.6

Ok, I put the jumber from pos battery to pos solenoid.

Turned the key on and, the alt. and oil lights on the dash stayed bright instead of going dim. I pushed the starter button and both lights went very dim till I let up. No clicking sound at solenoid or any sound.

It is in park. So, do know that it won't start in gear, an over ride some where and was told there might be a starter relay though can't find either. There was also 12.5 volts to the solenoid. Thanks

OK, now we are getting some where , Good Thing

I think you have a bad starter , reason being, lights bright, turn to start , and go dim, it is drawing the battery down , not much voltage to turn it over
you can try a jump start, with Car /Truck, if you here that pulled down , then you know you have a bad starter

I'll try that but still don't understand why, when hitting the starter button, the solenoid doesn't at least try to engage the bendix gear. As I understand it, once it does that it also puts full current to the starter but nothing on the solenoid is active.
OK,

I got in front of my self here
You are correct, , if solenoid is not engaging , starter won't do any thing,
so, Temp Jumper wire made lights bright , switch to start , they go dim
you have a bad ground ,
another Temp, jumper wire , from battery to starter, and engine

I'll try that but, just to reiterate, turning the switch to start, with the jumper the lights stay bright with out the jumper, they are bright on aux. but turning to start they go dim and, that does not include pushing the start button. With jumper, key turned to start position and pushing the start button, they go very very dim. That is what makes me think there is a bad relay of a bad over ride but, I don't have an electrical diagram or access to one which I think is needed to diagnose the problem. I'm going to check for a good ground with jumper and cleaning. back in a few
OK,
While you do that I have the JD parts book , I will look into that

I just sent you a picture of the starter relay

I just took of the second to last floor panel off looking for it. Do you have any idea where to locate the relay and also, how to test it? Can it be temperorly bypassed with out causing damage to the rest of the electrical system,

Thanks, Kenny

It is mounted it different places ,
best thing to do is trace the starter wire to it
or the other way , battery wire to it
2 big post and 1 small
to test , run a jumper across the 2 big terminals, if cranks, it is bad
you can also tap on it , that always works also , , but must be replaced

Good evening

just wondering how things worked out ..........
If good Please hit accept, as this is the only way I get paid

Wayne, Journeyman