Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

cummins..rebuilding the engine and need the tourqe and clearance specs…

I have a 2007 Peterbuilt...
I have a 2007 Peterbuilt with a 8.3 Cummins. We are rebuilding the engine and need the tourqe and clearance specs for it.
Model ICS 315
Serial # XXXXX
Family 6CEXH0505CAX
CID 505
VIN 2NPRLZ0X67
1/28/2012
Technician: DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN replied 10 years ago
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today. what specs do you need?
Main,rod and head bolt torqe and valve lash adjustment
Head Torque Value:
  1. 50 n.m [37 ft-lb]
  2. 150 n.m [111 ft-lb]
  3. Loosen all capscrews
  4. 115 n.m [85 ft-lb]
  5. 115 n.m [85 ft-lb]
  6. Advance 120 degrees.

intake lash is 12 thousands

exhaust lash is 22 thousands

Rotate the crankshaft to align the top dead center marks on the gear cover and the fuel pump gear With the engine in this position, lash can be checked on the following rocker arms: 1I, 1E, 2I, 3E, 4I, and 5E

rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees and measure lash for rocker arms 2E, 3I, 4E, 5I, 6I, and 6E

Install a main bearing cap after each upper main bearing is installed to keep the main bearing in place while the other uppers are installed.

Lubricate the main bearing capscrew under the cap and lubricate the main bearing capscrew threads using clean 15W-40 engine oil.

Tighten capscrews.

Torque Value:

1. 95 n.m [70 ft-lb]
  2. Rotate 60 degrees

Check the main bearing installation and the size of the main bearings if the crankshaft does not rotate freely.

The connecting rod and cap must have the same number and must be installed in the proper cylinder. The connecting rod cap number and rod number must be on the same side of the connecting rod to prevent engine damage during engine operation.

Engines With Connecting Rod Studs and Nuts

• Install the connecting rod cap and nuts.
  • Use a marked socket and torque wrench to tighten the connecting rod nuts.
  • Use the torque plus angle method to tighten the connecting rod nuts in alternating sequence.

Torque Value: Connecting Rod Nuts

1. 60 n.m [44 ft-lb]
  2. Loosen capscrews
  3. 70 n.m [52 ft-lb]
  4. Advance 90 degrees

Engines With Connecting Rod Capscrews

• Install the connecting rod cap and capscrews
  • Use a marked socket and torque wrench to tighten the connecting rod capscrews.
  • Use the torque plus angle method to tighten the connecting rod capscrews in alternating sequence.

Torque Value: Connecting Rod Capscrews

1. 60 n.m [44 ft-lb]
  2. Loosen capscrews
  3. 70 n.m [52 ft-lb]
  4. Advance 60 degrees

graphic

DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN