DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

Volvo: Mid 128 pid 411 fmi 0, I just got this code..cummins..isx

Mid 128 pid 411 fmi 0, I just got this code on my 05 Volvo w/ cummins isx. Wat does it mean and can I drive it like this? I'm bobtailing.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today. You cannot run this engine for extended amount of time with this code. The egr valve will not work and you will have power loss, This can be a simple fix with just a sensor, or an egr valve. stuck. i have listed other causes also.T%his issue should be dealt with in a timely matter,

CODEREASONEFFECT
Fault Code: 1899
PID: P411
SPN: 411
FMI: 0/18
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Delta Pressure - Data Valid But Below Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level. The EGR differential pressure sensor has detected low EGR gas flow or the EGR differential pressure reading is not valid for engine operating conditions.

EGR valve actuation will be disabled.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• A damaged EGR differential pressure sensor.
  • A leaking low or high EGR differential pressure tube.
  • A stuck closed EGR valve.
  • A plugged or restricted EGR cooler.
  • This diagnostic checks the reading of the EGR differential pressure sensor when the EGR valve is open. Since the EGR valve is open, the reading of the EGR differential pressure must be greater than 0. If the ECM detects a reading lower than expected with the EGR valve open, this fault code is logged.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this also cause a drop in fuel pressure? Would I be able to fix it myself w/ moderate to little mechanic knowledge?

This will not cause a drop in fuel pressure, But a drop in fuel econ. If you have a drop in fuel pressure the ecm will log a fault code for low fuel pressure, check or replace your filter,and make sure the lift pump is working. (you can hear the lift pump run at key on ) here is the fault you will get with a true fuel pressure issue.

CODEREASONEFFECT
Fault Code: 482
PID: P094
SPN: 94
FMI: 1/18
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Fuel Pressure Low - Data Valid But Below Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level.

Engine may not start, white smoke, run rough, or lose power.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that fuel pressure problem has been ongoing for a yr and I've heard maybe it's the egr valve. I just turned the truck off waited a few minutes and turned it back on. The code now says inactive, is the problem gone? Also, I read the reasons you sent me for the egr and it says "below normal" and my code says "value too high". What's the difference?

there is difference less severe and more severe,it is what the ecm is seeing and it must be monitored with the Cummins software.. here is the other code that is for your complaint. it had all the same reasons for the issue in the egr system . This code is worse and means the problem MUST be repaired asap.Just because the fault is now in active does not mean the problem is gone. it just means that the ecm is now seeing the acceptable readings. it will come back on soon

CODEREASONEFFECT
Fault Code: 2359
PID: P411
SPN: 411
FMI: 0/16
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Differential Pressure - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level. The EGR differential pressure sensor has detected high EGR gas flow, or the EGR differential pressure reading is not valid for engine operating conditions.

EGR valve actuation will be disabled

This diagnostic checks the reading of the EGR differential pressure sensor when the EGR valve is closed. Since the EGR valve is closed, the reading of the EGR differential pressure should be 0. If the ECM detects a reading higher than expected with the EGR valve closed, this fault code is logged.

• A damaged EGR differential pressure sensor
  • A leaking low or high EGR differential pressure tube
  • A stuck open EGR valve.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow, thank you so much. Do I have to replace the egr valve or get the readings? And can I replace it myself?
I would get the Cummins insite hooked up and let them tell you if it is the egr valve or sensor, Worst case scenario it's the egr cooler leaking and fouling out the system.(that should be repaired by a dealer) but the sensor and egr valve can be replaced bu you in less than an hr. it will save you money by letting them figure out exactly it is and you buying and replacing the part on your own.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would I need a diagram to figure it out?
no, it is 2 clamps, that hold it on and 2 coolant lines and 2 wire connections that need to be unconnected., it is located on the passenger side connected to the exhaust manifold and egr cooler behind a heat shield. The egr valve kit comes with all gaskets you would need.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the help and advise.
Your welcome. Thanks for using JA