Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

what is the best fuel conditioner to use in my isx?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
11/27/2011
Technician: DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN replied 6 years ago
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.Here is the F-C i recommend http://www.powerservice.com/

this is best but cummins also has a statement about this.

Cummins Inc. neither approves nor disapproves of the use of any fuel additive, fuel extender, fuel system modification, or the use of any device not manufactured or sold by Cummins Inc. or its subsidiaries. Engine damage, service issues, or performance problems that occur due to the use of these products are not considered a defect in workmanship or material as supplied by Cummins Inc. and can not be compensated under the Cummins Inc. warranty.

Fuel Additives

Cummins® engines are designed, developed, rated, and built to operate on commercially available diesel fuel as listed in Table 1: Cummins Inc. Required Diesel Fuel Specifications; therefore, it is not our policy to recommend fuel additives.

In certain situations, when available fuels are of poor quality or problems exist which are peculiar to certain operations, additives can be used. However, Cummins Inc. recommends consultation with the fuel supplier or Cummins Inc. Service Engineering Department prior to the use of fuel additives.

Among the situations where additives can prove useful are the following:

1. A cetane improver additive can be used with low cetane fuels.
  2. A pour point depressant or flow improver additive can help with high pour point fuels.
  3. A wax crystal modifier can help with fuels with high cold filter plugging points (CFPP).
  4. An anti-icer can help prevent ice formation in wet fuel during cold weather.
  5. An anti-oxidant or storage stability additive can help with fuel system deposits and poor storage stability.
  6. A lubricity enhancer can be used to increase the lubricity of fuels so that they meet the specifications in Table 1: Cummins Inc. Required Diesel Fuel Specifications.
  7. A biocide or fungicide can help when fuels are prone to contamination with bacteria or fungus. Although other additives can provide some performance benefits, Cummins FiltrationTM Microbicide (quart - CC2661 and gallon - CC2663) are the only products approved by Cummins Inc. to treat fuels with biological contamination problems.
  8. Cummins FiltrationTM Turbo Diesel All Season Fuel Additive (pint - CC2588) can be used with low cetane fuels to boost cetane values. Although other additives are available that will boost the cetane number, Cummins FiltrationTM All Season Fuel Additive is the only diesel fuel additive approved by Cummins Inc. for cetane number improvement.
  9. Cummins FiltrationTM Asphaltene Conditioner Base (pint - CC2598, quart - CC2597, 5 gallons - CC2549, and 55 gallons - CC2550) and Asphaltene Conditioner Concentrate (2.5 gallons - CC2596, Bulk - CC2559) or Cummins FiltrationTM Turbocharger Diesel All Season Fuel Additive (pint - CC2588), can be used to clean carbon deposits from injectors and improve lubricity in fuels that fall below the recommended lubricity specification in Table 1: Cummins Inc. Required Diesel Fuel Specifications. Although other additives can provide some performance benefits, Cummins FiltrationTM Asphaltene Conditioner, and Turbo Diesel All Season Fuel Additive are the only diesel fuel additives approved by Cummins Inc. for use with fuels that do not meet the lubricity specification in Table 1.
  10. Cummins FiltrationTM Winter Conditioner Base (pint - CC2591, quart - CC2592, 5 gallons - CC2593, 55 gallons - CC2594, and Bulk - CC2590), Winter Conditioner Concentrate (5 gallons - CC2552, 55 gallons - CC2553, and Bulk - CC2554), and Turbocharger Diesel All Season Fuel additive (pint - CC2588) can be used to improve the pour point and cold filter plugging point of diesel fuels in addition to preventing ice formation in wet fuels during cold storage. Although other additives are available that can provide some winter performance benefits, Cummins FiltrationTM Winter Conditioner and Turbo Diesel All Season Fuel Additive are the only diesel fuel additives approved by Cummins Inc. for winter performance improvements.
  11. Cummins FiltrationTM Platinum PlusTM DFX Fuel Borne Catalyst can be used to enhance fuel economy and improve the performance of diesel oxidation catalyst and catalyzed wire mesh filters. Additionally, Platinum PlusTM DFX lowers the temperature at which soot captured in emission control systems will oxidize. Platinum PlusTM DFX is available in various package sizes (gallons - CC2767, 5 gallons - CC2766, and 55 gallons - CC2771). Cummins FiltrationTM Platinum PlusTM DFX-DPF Fuel Borne Catalyst (gallons - CC2773, and 5 gallons - CC2772) can be used with passive regenerated, high efficiency wall flow diesel particulate filter systems. It is specially formulated to enhance fuel economy, reduce diesel particulate filter regeneration temperatures, and further reduce particulate matter. Although other additives are available that can provide some performance benefits, Cummins FiltrationTM Platinum PlusTM DFX and Platinum PlusTM DFX-DPF Fuel Borne Catalyst are the only diesel fuel additives approved by Cummins Inc. for use in reducing regeneration temperatures and/or reducing particulate matter.
  12. Cummins Filtration Inc. offers lubricity enhancing fuel filters that can improve the lubricity of fuels that fall below the recommended lubricity specification given in Table 1: Cummins Inc. Required Diesel Fuel Specifications. The following filters are required by Cummins Inc. when the corresponding engine is operated using low lubricity fuels such as Jet A or JP8.

1. If deposits are found in critical components of the fuel system, and an engine meets three or more of the following conditions, a fuel detergent additive is required to improve the dispersancy of the fuel.
    • The engine is used in a hybrid power train.
    • The average vehicle speed is 11 km [7 mi] per hour or less.
    • The engine exhaust is equipped with a diesel particulate filter.
    • The fuel used is 50 percent or more diesel number 1 (D1).
  2. Cummins® Premium PlusTM Injector Flush can be used to remove carbon deposits from fuel injectors. Carbon deposits can build-up in injectors over time and decrease engine performance. Cummins® Premium PlusTM Injector Flush comes in a one gallon container, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN and is run through the engine using specially designed fittings which connect the engine fuel suction hose to the fluid container. These fittings can be found in the Premium PlusTM Flush Hose Kit, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN and this kit can be used from vehicle to vehicle. This additive is approved for use in engines equipped with diesel particulate filter aftertreatment systems.

For customers utilizing fuel mixtures 50 percent or more, Ultra Low Sulfur D1, the fuel oxidation stability should be above 20 hours using test standard EN 15751. For fuels falling below 20 hours, additives are required to improve the oxidation stability of the fuel.

Premium diesel fuels can possibly contain several additives that can accomplish the same as buying additives and adding them to lower quality diesel fuel.

Cummins Inc. recommends the use of a premium diesel fuel during winter (ambient conditions at -7°C or 20°F or below) operating conditions.

Great care must be exercised in the choice and use of additives. Most legitimate fuel additives perform only one function. Multifunctional fuel additives are mixtures of several additives. All fuel additives perform differently in different fuels; therefore, the additive used must be one to which the fuel will respond. There are no known additives that increase the power or improve the efficiency of a properly maintained engine.

Some fuel additives can be harmful to the engine or exhaust aftertreatment system. Fuel additives containing ash (incombustible material) will cause combustion chamber deposits. In addition, when fuel additives containing ash are used on engines equipped with a diesel particulate filter, the filter will fill up with the incombustible material, which can not be removed by performing a stationary regeneration. The engine may try to regenerate more frequently, but the regenerations will be unsuccessful, and the filter will continue to plug. The inlet surface of the diesel particulate filter can also be covered with an orange or rust colored substance. When these symptoms occur, the diesel particulate filter must be replaced.

Ash may consist of a variety of incombustible materials, but most commonly will be metals, such as iron. Cummins Inc. requires that there be no detectable ash in the fuel or fuel additives used in engines equipped with exhaust aftertreatment. Aftertreatment system failures caused by the use of additives containing ash will not be covered by Cummins Inc. warranty.

NOTE: Cummins Inc. accepts no liability for engine damage resulting from the use of fuel additives that are not specifically approved. Consult your fuel supplier for guidance on additive use

DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
can you tell me why psp is the best? what is your opinion on cummins conditioner
They have the best choice, and by using their several duiffrent additives you get consistancy. and not using this guy and that guy. Fuel conditioners are not all that. it's the type of fuel you use.Power service is all i ever use for my truck. Cummins will nnot add additived in the fuel. we drain and replace the fuel, if there is an issue. ot have you take care of it.
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN