Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

GMC C5500: 2004 GMC 5500 FLATBED WITH A 6.6 DURAMAX.AFTER RECENTLY…

Customer Question
2004 GMC 5500 FLATBED WITH...
2004 GMC 5500 FLATBED WITH A 6.6 DURAMAX.AFTER RECENTLY REPLACING THE BATTERIES THE SPEEDOMETER IS WAY OFF GOING TO OVER 100MPH WHEN IM DOING ABOUT 40MPH. WHEN THIS HAPPENS IT THROWS THE TRUCK INTO WHAT FEELS LIKE LIMP MODE BUT NO SES LIGHTS APPEAR. THE HIGH IDLE ALSO BECAME INOPERATIVE WHICH I HAD CORRECTED WITH THE HELP OF A FRIEND AND HIS TECH11 SCANNER. THE TRUCK ONLY HAS 38,000 MILES ON IT
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
Answered in 2 days by:
11/10/2011
Technician: Gary, Technician replied 11 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician
Hello, I have seen this many times. Usually after a dead battery, or a battery replacement. The engine computer has a calibration for speed, that consists of gear ratio, and tire revolutions per mile. These calibrations tell the speedo what mph to read. After battery loss, the calibration resets to 0, causing this concern. A dealer has to reprogram tis with a tech 2 scanner, using the correct gear ratio, and revolutions per mile, which they should be able to figure out. This will fix your issue. Good luck...Gary
Let me ask you. My buddy has a tech 2 scanner and was able to reset the high idle for the pto.I assume he would be able to reset the speedo then?
Would i be able to obtain this calibration info? the local dealer is about 35 miles from here and i dont think i want to try that trip on the hwy with the trucks top speed of about 40mph,besides they take forever and i cant have the teuck down for any long amount of time
Hi. Your buddy with the tech2 can reprogram this. You must know axle ratio, and tire revolutions per mile. This info can be entered in powertrain special functions speed calibration. For revolutions per mile, measure the diameter of a rear wheel, by marking the ground, and the tire, rolling 1 complete revolution, mark the ground again, then measure the distance on the ground. Take this measurement, divide into a mile, and you will get revolutions per mile. For example 644 revolutions per mile. Good luck... Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician
Hey Gary it.s Ray again. Well the procedure u gave me worked perfectly,thank you. NOW,my other concern.I'm still having a power issue.Get's to 40 mph and feels like fuel starvation.I did replace the fuel filter about 50 miles ago so i dont think thats it. Also,i am aware of the problem with the air boxes rubbing on the MAP sensor and harness and this doesnt appear to be the problem.The reason i dont think that is the issue is i have an 06 5500 with a 6.6 in it and went through that problem with that truck.
Relist: Other.
My original question was answered perfectly. This question is a follow up to another problem with same vehicle
Hello, sometimes the switches for the overdrive, to the right of the steering column get shut off, causing a concern, or the pto switch could be turned on, usually causing a 20 mph max. there is a good chance the exhaust brake valve could be stuck on. If there is a check engine light on, there could be other issues. Let me know... Gary
Hey,pto not engaged nor is the od switch.I'm trying to think i remember somewhere reading these 6.6 having an issue with the exhaust brake getting stuck like u mentioned in ur response.Any quick fix or way to easily check the valve?also,no check engine light and no stored codes in the ecm