Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

starter turns but does not engage...ok, but doesnt engage

the starter turns but does not engage. the spring drive is ok, the rest seems to be ok, but doesn't engage
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. The battery isn't hooked up wrong is it? with the six volt battery, the positive was the ground, that would make starter turn backward.??

Customer:

not hooked up wrong, positive is ground, was first thing checked

curtis b :

When did it quit working? Were you trying to start it when starter quit engaging? Or did it work one day and not the next?

curtis b :

Is the starter drive pined to the armature shaft with the roll pin in place??

Customer:

not sure when quit, tractor was left on another farm a while. , they said it wouldn't start for them, it's moved to it's owner now. yes the starter drive is pinned and pin in place

curtis b :

Could battery be weak? Or could starter have been changed to 12 volt?? When you had it off, did you bench test it to see if bendix was spinning out?

Customer:

what voltage does the 6 volt batt need to engage, no did not bench test it yet

Customer:

no starter not changed to 12 volt

curtis b :

Battery should have 6.5 volts before trying to crank and should not drop below 5 volts when starter is engaged. You could try to jump it direct to the starter with 12 volts. 12 volts will not harm the starter for short period of time.

Customer:

ok will try that but may not be at tractor for a day or two

Customer:

curtis, I won't leave you hangin on this, I'll accept this answer if I can ask again it that don't help

curtis b :

Just leave question open, it does not have to be Accepted today. Just get back when you can. You can use your signin name and it will come back to here. Let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a fix

curtis b :

ok.

Customer:

curtis, jumped it with 12 volts today, worked, appeas it was low voltage from batt. I bet the people that said it wouldn't work starter hooked it up with neg ground as they jumped it, ty, have a ghood day

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Good job! Glad it worked out. Thank you!