Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

It and I need to get all the torque specs and how to adjust the valves…

Customer Question
I am doing an inframe...
I am doing an inframe on a ASV rc85 with a Cat 3054c in it and I need to get all the torque specs and how to adjust the valves.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
8/15/2011
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 11 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Donnie :

Lubricate the threads and the underside of the head bolts with clean engine oil.

Tighten the bolts in the sequence that is shown in Illustration1 to the following torque. ... 50 N·m (37 lb ft)
Tighten the bolts again to the following torque. ... 100 N·m (74 lb ft)
Donnie :

The head bolts require an additional torque turn procedure. The numbers (1, 3, 4) are three long cylinder head bolts. All the other bolts are short bolts. The tightening sequence is shown in Illustration 1.

Place an index mark on the top of each bolt head. Tighten the short bolts for the additional amount. ... 225 degrees
Place an index mark on the top of each bolt head. Tighten the long bolts for the additional amount. ... 270 degrees

Thickness of the cylinder head ... 117.95 to 118.05 mm (4.643 to 4.647 inch)

Minimum thickness of cylinder head ... 117.20 mm (4.614 inch)

Donnie :

Main bearing cap bolts

Use the following procedure in order to install the main bearing cap bolts:

1. Apply clean engine oil to the threads of the main bearing cap bolts.

1. Put the main bearing caps in the correct position that is indicated by a number on the top of the main bearing cap. Install the main bearing caps with the locating tabs in correct alignment with the recess in the cylinder block.

1. Evenly tighten the main bearing cap bolts.

Torque for the main bearing cap bolts. ... 245 N·m (180 lb ft)

Donnie :

The mating surfaces of the connecting rod are produced by hydraulically fracturing the forged connecting rod.

(1) Tighten the connecting rod bolts to the following torque. ... 18 N·m (13 lb ft)

Tighten the connecting rod bolts again to the following torque. ... 70 N·m (52 lb ft)

Tighten the screws for the connecting rod for an additional 120 degrees. The screws for the connecting rod (1) must be replaced after this procedure.

Note: Always tighten the connecting rod cap to the connecting rod, when the assembly is out of the engine. Tighten the assembly to the following torque 20 N·m (14 lb ft).

Donnie :

Tighten the three bolts for the crankshaft pulley to the following torque. ... 115 N·m (85 lb ft)

Donnie :
Apply 4C-5593 Anti-Seize Compound to the threads of the flywheel bolts.
Tighten the flywheel bolts to the following torque. ... 115 N·m (85 lb ft)
Donnie :

Remove the valve mechanism cover and perform the following procedure in order to adjust the valve lash:

1. Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".

Table 2
    TC Compression Stroke Inlet Valves Exhaust Valves
    Valve Lash
    0.20 mm (0.008 inch)

0.45 mm (0.018 inch)
    Cylinders1,21,3

1. Adjust the valves according to Table 2.

1. Lightly tap the rocker arm at the top of the adjustment screw with a soft mallet. This will ensure that the lifter seats against the camshaft.

1. Loosen the adjustment locknut.

1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge between rocker arm and the valve stem. Then, turn the adjustment screw in a clockwise direction. Slide the feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve stem. Continue turning the adjustment screw until a slight drag is felt on the feeler gauge. Remove the feeler gauge.

1. Tighten the adjustment locknut to a torque of 27 N·m (20 lb ft). Do not allow the adjustment screw to turn while you are tightening the adjustment locknut. Recheck the valve lash after tightening the adjustment locknut.

1. Rotate the engine by 360 degrees. The engine will be on TC compression stroke for cylinder 4.

Table 3
    TC Exhaust Stroke (3)Inlet ValvesExhaust Valve
    Valve Lash
    0.20 mm (0.008 inch)

0.45 mm (0.018 inch)
    Cylinders3,42,4

( 3 ) Position for No. 1 cylinder

1. Loosen the adjustment locknut.

Donnie :

This is for 3054C INDUSTRIAL ENGINE 334 serial number prefix.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician