Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

Driving down..gauges..the following error codes bh-164 ecu-128 3-2.2

I was driving down the road when the truck died. I tried to back up as it died but all the gauges dropped. I got the following error codes bh-164 ecu-128 3-2.2. What can I do? What could cause this?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

If you have a code 164, that means that your engine has a problem with the Injection Actuation Pressure System. This is the system that uses high pressure engine oil to activate the injectors. If there is a problem with this system, the engine will most likely not start. If it does start, it will not run well and will shut off.

The most likely cause of your problem is a failed HEUI pump. This pump is what supplies the high pressure oil to the injectors. I see this alot.

The problem could also be caused by an injector leaking too much oil. If your engine will not start, you can remove the valve cover and look and see if there is an injector leaking while the engine is cranking over.

Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is THE code 3_2.2
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
I think that code is for something other than the engine. 3 2.2 is not an engine code.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the code ecu 128?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
128 just indicates there is a code in the engine ECU. Of course, yours had a code 164.
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THE TRUCK IS RUNING RIGHT NOW, BUT IN THE LCD APPERS THE CODE 3_2.2. THIS CODE NEVER APPERS BEFORE. DO YOU KNOW IF IS NORMAL, OR HOW CAN I RESET THE COMPUTER?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 years ago.
To be honest. I am a Cat engine expert. I am not fimiliar with that code. I know that there are some Freightliner expert that will know what that 3 2.2 code is. I am going to OPT out and get a Freightliner expert to help you with this code. It shouldn't take but a short time for them to answer this.
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..the 3_2.2 number you see is the dash cluster displaying it software number and is normal for this vehicle.Normal,let me know if you have any other questions..