Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

John deere 4020 tractor and need the wiring diagram for the battery

Customer Question

I have a john deere 4020 tractor and need the wiring diagram for the battery
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

Kevin :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be able to help you with your question. Is your 4020 a 12 volt or 24 volt machine?

Customer:

24 volt

Kevin :

Ok, give me just a moment and see if I can pull up a 24 volt battery cable diagram.

Customer:

ok

Kevin :

This diagram is a 24 volt wiring diagram for your tractor. Unfortunatly I don't have any that show the battery cables them self any closer up. The battery cables are very simple for the 24 volt machines.

Kevin :

GENERATOR AND STARTER WIRING™BR>(DIESEL)(TRACTOR SERIAL NO. 065000-090999)

Customer:

i need the battery cable wiring because it burns up the batteries in about 6 months

Kevin :

Is the diagram that I posted not what you were looking for?

Customer:

no

Kevin :

What specific part of the diagram are you in need of?

Kevin :

Just out of curiousity are the batteries simply going dead as if they have a draw or a more serious failure?

Customer:

the battery cable because I need to replace them . the system burn the batteries up in short order

Customer:

over a short period of time the tractor becomes harder to start then it fails to start. I can charge the batteries for a time then start it but when tried later won't start

Kevin :

Unfortunatly I don't have any additional diagrams that show the battery cables aside from the one I posted as I don't have a scaner to copy my books diagram for you. One of my fellow experts may have a better diagram so I will opt out of the question so that one of them might be able to help you.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Kevin :

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX of luck. I will now opt out and pass the question on to another expert.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. The picture Kevin posted shows the battery cables. Look at 20 and 21. The batteries are what you are looking at the. The positive goes to the starter solenoid the negative from the other battery goes to the starter body. My guess is you don't have a battery cable problem, but a draw on the electrical system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do I need to do?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
With everything off, pull positive battery cable and look for spark, if something is still on, you will see faint spark each time cable is touched. If you do, start checking what could be making voltage draw. Alternator, lights, keyswitch not cutting everything off. Unplug one at a time and recheck until you find where voltage draw is, then check that component.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts