DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

my cat c-15 is losing a lot of coolant from the overflow.

my cat c-15 is losing a lot of coolant from the overflow. coolant is sometimes foamy. there's no water on the oil dipstick and only minimal white smoke at first start up. could it be a bad water pump? it leaks when its very cold . the engine is an '02
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 6 years ago.
Hello the first thing you need to eliminate is combustion gases in the coolant, As this will cause the pressure to build in the coolant system. combustion gases are an indication of a blown head gasket, You can get a teat kit from any automotive store. If the teat is negative i would suspect the air compressor is pushing air in the coolant system
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?
Excessive pressure in the coolant system. The only test is the combustion in the coolant, Test as i stated