Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

2002 c15 cat will not start. Turns over will not crank. Sensors…

Customer Question
2002 c15 cat will not...
2002 c15 cat will not start. Turns over will not crank. Sensors are ok, no air in the fuel line, EMC is fine, getting fuel, just will not crank up. ANY suggestions?  It will crank with ether, but not stay running
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
3/1/2011
Technician: Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert replied 7 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for using JA. I will try and help you out.

Does the engie smoke when you are trying to start it?

Also, when you say it is getting fuel, how can you tell? Does the engine have a hand primer pump?

no smoke, no primer pump

it is getting fuel from the main filter, and it has fuel coming from the return line going back to the tank ..pulled lines loose to see this

Thanks for the information.

The reason I asked about the hand primer pump is because it takes at least 35 psi to make the engine run. If you had a hand primer pump, you may be able to operate it and the engine may crank. But since you do not have a hand primer, the only way to verify this is to install a psi gauge in the fuel filter manifold and measure the pressure. If it is low, you either have a failed fuel pressure regulator or transfer pump. Since you seen fuel returning, I would lean more towards the regulator.

where is the fuel pressure regulator located? I have a "pick up" fuel pump that is gear driven, bolted to the front of the engine.
The regulator is located in the secondary fuel filter housing. It underneath the bottom beside the filter. It looks like a 1 inch plug.

Is there a way to check the regulator, without replacing it?

The only way would be to cap off or restrict the return line. If the engine starts. You'll know the regulator is bad.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going.

Please let me know if you need more help.