Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

s60: way to check the cam timing..without removing the front cover

Is there a way to...
Is there a way to check the cam timing on a s60 detroit without removing the front cover. I
was installing the cam and hit the gear, dont think it slipped a tooth but rather be safe than
sorry.
2/25/2011
Buddy
Buddy, Technician

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will help you out. This is out of the manual. If you need, i can explain more for you. Checking timing is pretty easy, after you done a couple. Couple things to remember, is when you set dial indicator up on top of injector roller, make sure you put on top at middle of injector roller. If you need anything else just ask.

• Remove the valve cover.Select any cylinder for the timing check.
  • Remove the rocker arm assembly for the cylinder selected.
  • Remove the injector for that cylinder.
  • Carefully slide a rod, approximately 304.8 mm (12 in.) long, through the injector tube hole until the end of the rod rests on top of the piston.
  • Slowly bar the engine over in direction of engine rotation. Stop when the rod reaches the end of its upward travel.
  •  

Note: The cylinder selected must be on the compression stroke when performing this check.

• Remove the rod and turn the crankshaft, opposite the direction of rotation, between 1/16 and 1/8 of a turn.
  • Select a dial indicator with 0.0254 mm (0.001 in.) graduations and a spindle movement of at least 25.4 mm (1 in.). Provide an extension for the indicator spindle. The extension must be long enough to contact the piston just before it reaches the end of its upward stroke.
  • Install a magnetic dial indicator base in a suitable place on the cylinder head and position the dial indicator over the injector hole tube.
  • Attach a suitable pointer to the gear case cover. The outer end of the pointer should extend over the vibration damper.
  • Turn the crankshaft slowly in the direction of engine rotation until the indicator hand just stops moving. Continue turning the crankshaft until the indicator hand starts to move again.
  • Reset the dial to zero.
  • Turn the crankshaft until the indicator reading is 0.254 mm (0.010 in.).
  • Scribe a line on the vibration damper in line with the end of the pointer.
  • Slowly turn the crankshaft opposite the direction of engine rotation until the indicator hand just stops moving. Continue turning the crankshaft until the indicator hand starts to move again.
  • Reset the dial to zero. Then turn the crankshaft in the same direction until the indicator reading is 0.254 mm (0.010 in.).
  • Scribe a second line on the vibration damper in line with the end of the pointer.
  • Scribe a third line half way between the first two lines. This is top dead center for the cylinder selected when the pointer is lined up with it.
  • Remove the dial indicator and base from the engine.
  • Install the injector that was removed.
  • Install the rocker arm assemblies.
  • Turn the crankshaft opposite the direction of engine rotation while watching the injector rocker arm cam follower for the cylinder selected. Turn the crankshaft until the cam follower is on the base circle of the injector lobe of the cam.
  • Install a magnetic dial indicator base on the cylinder head. Install a dial indicator so that the spindle rests directly on the injector cam follower roller for the cylinder selected.

Note: The spindle should be on the center line of the injector cam follower roller pin in order to get an accurate measurement of cam lift.

• Turn the crankshaft slowly, in the direction of engine rotation, until the center mark on the vibration damper lines up with the pointer.
  • Check the dial indicator reading and compare the reading with the values to determine the correct indicator reading.
  •  

Here is the chart to compare your readings to. It should be between low and high injector cam roller lift for that model and year number. Ignore the ? in the table

Engine?

DDEC Version?

Model?

Camshaft Part No.?

Model Year?

Low Injector Cam Roller Lift at TDC?

High Injector Cam Roller Lift at TDC?

12.7 L?

III?

GK?

23521680?

1998?

5.36 mm (0.211 in.)?

6.76 mm (0.266 in.)?

12.7 L?

IV?

PK, TK?

23521680?

1998?

5.36 mm (0.211 in.)?

6.76 mm (0.266 in.)?

11.1 L?

IV?

EK?

23522199?

1998?

5.46 mm (0.215 in.)?

6.71 mm (0.264 in.)?

11.1 L?

III?

SK?

23518717?

1993-1997?

4.95 mm (0.195 in.)?

6.53 mm (0.257 in.)?

12.7 L?

III?

GK?

23513565?

1993-1997?

4.95 mm (0.195 in.)?

6.53 mm (0.257 in.)?

11.1 L?

III?

WK?

23513563?

1993-1997?

4.95 mm (0.195 in.)?

6.53 mm (0.257 in.)?

11.1 L?

II?

WU?

(NNN) NNN-NNNN

1986-1993?

4.39 mm (0.173 in.)?

5.46 mm (0.215 in.)?

12.7 L?

II?

GU?

23505194?

1986-1993?

4.39 mm (0.173 in.)?

5.46 mm (0.215 in.)?

11.1 L?

IV?

LK?

23524655?

1999?

5.21 mm (0.205 in.)?

6.27 mm (0.247 in.)?

11.1 L?

IV?

LK?

23524914?

1999?

5.21 mm (0.205 in.)?

6.27 mm (0.247 in.)?

12.7 L?

IV?

BK, MK?

23524292?

1999?

5.03 mm (0.198 in.)?

6.10 mm (0.240 in.)?

12.7 L?

IV?

MK, BK?

23524912?

1999-2000?

5.03 mm (0.198 in.)?

6.10 mm (0.240 in.)?

12.7 L?

IV?

MK, BK?

23528309?

2000-2001?

6.527 mm (0.257 in.)?

7.594 mm (0.299 in.)?

12.7 L?

IV?

MK?

23528606?

2001?

5.893 mm (0.232 in.)?

6.960 mm (0274 in.)?

14 L?

IV?

HK?

23524912?

1999-2000?

5.03 mm (0.198 in.)?

6.10 mm (0.240 in.)?

14 L?

IV?

HK?

23528309?

2000-2001?

6.527 mm (0.257 in.)?

7.594 mm (0.299 in.)?

12.7 L?

IV?

MK_E?

23531130?

2002-2003?

6.452 mm (0.254 in.)?

7.214 mm (0.284 in.)?

14L?

IV?

HK_E?

23531130?

2002-2003?

6.452 mm (0.254 in.)?

7.214 mm (0.284 in.)?

12.7 L?

V?

MV_E?

23532935?

2004?

6.655 mm (0.262 in.)?

7.214 mm (0.284 in.)?

14L?

V?

HV_E?

23532935?

2004?

6.655 mm (0.262 in.)?

7.214 mm (0.284 in.)?

Buddy
    Buddy, Technician
    Buddy
    Buddy
    Buddy, Technician