Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

im working on a 2006 IHC 4300 with dt466 new style motor ,,,

Customer Question
se# XXXXX .. my question...
im working on a 2006 IHC 4300 with dt466 new style motor ,,, se# XXXXX .. my question is on some of the older dt466e there was a fuel return check vavle to the tank but on this truck we can not find where it would return to the tank ,, dose it not have one or is it returning into the fuel filter housing? the fuel filter housing bolts to the side of the manafold and sends fuel threw a small port into the engine , but we see no return ... we having problems keeping it running . on one of are older trucks 1999 or so we had the check valve stick and it would not run . and then some times we could prime the system and it would run for a short time and start running out of fuel and die out, this truck seems to be doing the same thing .. its funny the codes that come up point to the TPS sensor but i have found they will idle but not act like its running out of fuel ,, we did change the TPS and it made no diffrence . we thought maybe the ECM mite be bad , but we want to check that retun check valve first if it has one and any other sugestions you mite have .. we also hooked our inj presure guage to it and where geting 750 to 800 psi on it ... help///
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
2/4/2011
Technician: Andy, Technician replied 6 years ago
Andy, Technician

Customer:

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I think I can help you resolve your problem!

Customer:

You are correct ! On the older dt466, the check valve you are referring to also acted as a pressure regulator for the fuel system and maintained pressure in the system .

Customer:

On the newer dt466, this fuel pressure regulator is now built into the fuel filter housing. If you remove the filter cap , and pull the filter out , you will see at the bottom of the housing , next to the standpipe , there will be your fuel pressure regulator . You will need an allen socket or wrench to remove it and replace it with a new one..I would start there , cause it is an inexpensive fix and see how it goes !

Customer:

Please click on ACCEPT if my answer was satisfactory as this is how I get paid for my time and services . I'll still be in and out if you need me ! Thanks for using JUST ANSWER and don't forget to tell your friends about us!

Customer:

Any luck yet ! Just wondering what your fuel pressure is sitting at when running and if there is any air in it?

Customer:

Let me know ! I'll be in and out if you still need me ok!

I"ll be around!

Please click on ACCEPT if my answer was satisfactory and helpful as this is how I get paid for my time and services! I'll still be around to help you further if needed ! Thanks for using JUST ANSWER and don't forget to tell your friends about us !

sorry andy didnt get back to you ,, thank you for the info where still getting air in the system some where ? going to check the pick up in the tank today , have you ran across something that happens on these trucks in the past we can check also , we took the plastic lines all apart and presure checked them for leaks every thing good there ,, can that filter housing suck air some where ?

We usually pressurize the fuel tanks with about 5-10 psi of air pressure to check for leaks in the lines on the suction side. Normally you would not see leaks on the suction side because air is drawn in but when you pressurize the lines and wait about 5 minutes, if lines are bad , you will eventually find something starting to dribble. Might be a quick coupler leaking from the O-rings or something but better to pressure test while all is connected .

This however does not test the standpipe inside the tank. To test this , you would have to hook up a line from another fuel source to the filter housing to see if by using another fuel source, the air bubbles go away. This would tell you if your problem is in the standpipe. I have not seen this very often but it is possible to be a standpipe problem if nothing is found on the outside.

If after this test is done , and you still find air in fuel , then you may be looking at replacing your fuel filter housing. This I have seen a little more often.

Andy, Technician
thanks andy ,,,

Anytime ! And thank you for the ACCEPT! Please tell your friends about this site !Thanks for using JUST ANSWER!

andy ,, where still having problems with this truck ,, we changed the filter housing and this is where we are now ,, at the top of the filter housing there is a fitting to check fuel presure ,, we are able to bleed the air from the system and also on the fuel rail there is a shreder valve we can bleed ,, when we do this the trucks starts just fine idles good , can rev up with the cruse set 20 or 30 min ,. and will run,, take for a test ride and it gose only about 1/4 mile and dies out. this is where it gets strange , bleed the filter housing no/// air just fuel .. bleed the shreder valve and a lot of air ,, pump the hand pump and cont. to bleed the air at the fuel rail shreder and it starts again just fine and can get it back to the shop but starts to miss and starts acting like its out of fuel,,,, help

Now , it looks like some of the compression gaskets for the fuel injectors might be leaking compression into the fuel system . I would pull the valve cover , then the high pressure oil rail manifold to expose the injectors . pull all the injectors out and inspect. The washers on the very tip of the injectors is your compression gasket . Make sure they all came out with the injectors . If injector tips look fine, I would replace all injector o-rings and compression gaskets . Re-install and torque to spec. ALso have to replace all oil rail seals before re-installing manifold back on injectors . Torque to spec. That should cure your problem . Air can't be coming from anywhere else !

Andy, Technician
thank you again where going there next///
Andy you hit it there was 2 injectures that had come loose and they where blowing by ,, this truck has never had the valve covers off ,have you seen a problem in the past with loose injjectures ... thanks again dude this was the truck from hell ''''

No problem and yes I have seen loose injectors! They have to be properly torqued or they could come loose!

Thanks again for using our site ! Please tell your friends about us ! And if you ever need help with International again , please look me up ! Take care !

andy sorry to bug you again ,, do you no what the injecture torque is on the hold down clamp

No problem ! It's 30 ft/lbs

one more andy the oil rail ?

oil rail manifold bolts are 23 ftr/lbs. And you should torque the manifold starting with the center bolts and work your way toward the ends.

Andy, Technician
Andy thank you for all your help you rock dude we would have never figured this out with out your help.. thanks again
Anytime ! Thank you for your kind words and the bonus! Don't forget to tell your friends about this site ! Take care!
Andy, Technician