catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

I have a cat 257b track loader..injector pump..checked fuel

I have a cat 257b track loader. will not start, injector pump not pumping. checked fuel, has fuel have pressure to the pump but nothing to the injectors. their is a solenoid in the back it has voltage (13volts) could this be the shut-off
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 6 years ago.

Donnie :

Does it look like this.

Full Size Image

Customer:

their is not a loose wire system it is fixed to the solenoid

Donnie :

Ok, do you have the serial number?

Customer:

to the machine

Donnie :

yes

Customer:

slk01945

Donnie :

Have you seen any jumper wires like this picture?

Full Size Image

Customer:

no...its on the other side

Customer:

the solenoid

Donnie :

The solenoid does not have a jumper wire in it, correct?

Customer:

you may have me in the right direction, would this shut the fuel off

Donnie :

Not in this picture but, it could have the same jumper wire to change to a different type connector.

Donnie :

#17 in this picture is your solenoid.

Full Size Image

Customer:

yes, this is it

Customer:

Over the past week I have had a problem starting this machine it has to turn over several times before it starts

Donnie :

Hot or cold, make any difference?

Customer:

there is also a type of fuel pump with a line from the fuel tank and goes to the fuel filter/pump I pulled the top off and found a round filter inside. the filter was full of junk I cleaned it and primed the system..still not working

Donnie :

The wires on the solenoid are, A309-EA15 is a GREY wire that sends power to the solenoid and the black wire 200-EA24 is the ground.

Donnie :

Is it the transfer pump?

Customer:

could be, that is correct on the solenoid, it has 12 volts when i turn the ignition on

Donnie :

I just found it in the parts book, this machine does not have an electric transfer pump. I think you were on the water separator.

Donnie :

There have been isolated issues with the(NNN) NNN-NNNNFuel Transfer Pump As on certain C1.1, C1.5 and C2.2 engines. The issues have caused difficult starting or a loss of power.

Leaks on the fuel transfer pump from the top cap seal, the diaphragm or the oil seal have been identified as a significant contributor to the issue.

Changes to the manufacturing process of the fuel transfer pump have significantly improved the capability of the seals. Changes to materials have significantly improved the durability of the parts.

The part number of the fuel transfer pump will not change.

Donnie :

Your serial number is XXXXX this group, this could be your problem.

Donnie :
257B (S/N: SLK1-355,381-4153,4250-5654,5656-7036,7300-7905,8300-8326)
Donnie :

Since you said trash was found, here is another problem you may need to address.

Donnie :

Debris in the fuel transfer pump has been identified as a significant contributor to the issue.

A 1G-7206 Fuel Filter has been introduced to Skid Steer Loaders and Multi Terrain Loaders in order to prevent debris that is no greater than 100 microns from entering the fuel transfer pump.

Customer:

something has the fuel off, there is no fuel pumping to the injectors.

Customer:

when i pump the self primer, I broke the line to the injector pump and I get fuel.

Donnie :

The 1G-7206 filter should be in-line between the fuel tank and the transfer pump.

Customer:

do you have a picture

Donnie :

Click here, FILTER item #.

Customer:

its a big picture but i see the transfer pump

Donnie :

Have you check the pressure from the transfer pump while cranking?

Customer:

I guess my question is could the solenoid not be working and shut the fuel off

Donnie :

Do you get any smoke while cranking?

Customer:

none

Customer:

no fuel

Donnie :

Yes, the solenoid might not be working. Test the fuel pressure by installing an automotive type pressure guage. If it will make 5-10 psi in 10 seconds of cranking, the transfer pump is normal. Try removing the solenoid and test is in your hand see if the key switch is moving the plunger. If it is, install it only a few threads and start the engine. screw it in the rest of the way to shutoff the engine. DO NOT RUN ENGINE WITHOUT THE SOLENOID MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS, IT MAY SPRAY FUEL OUT OF THE THREADED AREA.

Customer:

where do u hook it up

Customer:

the pressure guage

Donnie :

Install it "deadhead", directly into the line from the transfer pump. Crank the engine, the pump will not be damaged.

Customer:

ok i will try this

Donnie :

If the solenoid is working, you may have an internal failure in the fuel injection pump. I would not recommend you work on this unless you have fuel system training.

Donnie :

(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the solenoid part number.