Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

Detroit..fuel and lost prime whats the best way..inline

Customer Question
On a series 60 detroit...
On a series 60 detroit Ran out of fuel and lost prime whats the best way to reprime the system can I take an electric fuel pump and just put it inline and pump fuel to the head.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
10/31/2010
Technician: Rudolph Diesel, ASE ,Master Heavy Truck Technichian replied 7 years ago
Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel, ASE ,Master Heavy Truck Technichian

Rudolph Diesel :

Hello Welcome to JA!

Rudolph Diesel :

I dont see you online i will post on [email protected]

Im not exacty sure how to use this site i am back on and trying to figure it out so and i cant read the Q&A section

Hello

Yes the series 60 can be hard to start when run out of fuel.

If by filling the the fuel filter on the engine and it will not fire,

It sounds like there is air in the head.

You don't want to put a in line electric fuel pump in this can damage the seals on the engine fuel pump.

On the back side of the head there is a return line.

You can loosen the line at the elbow fitting here

Wrap a rage around the loose fitting,

Turn the engine over for 15 seconds.

Check the fuel filter on the engine,

Keep the filter full.

Repeat turning over for 15 seconds.

After the 3rd or 4th try the rag on the return line should be wet,

You can now remove the rag and tighten the fitting.

If you want for a start assist use WD40 and spray onto the air cleaner.

This is flammable a lub and is safer then start fluids.

If your having fuel problems still and the filters are not filling

loosen the line on the fuel pump going from the pump to the filter on the engine.

See if there is any fuel coming from here?

If not

You do have a fuel pump problem.

The fuel pump is on the back of the air compressor

Let me know if i can help more!

RD

I will try that. there should not be a fuel pump problem as it was running fine untill it ran out of fuel. to restore fuel to the head would it people possible to to undo hose on outlet of pump and install electric pump between head and filter run for several mins to fill up the head then reinstall hoses in the original spots start and that should give enought fuel everywhere to keep it running. The fuel filter is one of the fuel pro 380's with a spin on element on top it is not possible to fill the filter as it says in the book.

HI

Yes i don't think there is a fuel pump problem, I just wanted to cover everything on the fuel system.

Yes there is no way to fill the pro 380 it would not work to prime, unless....

Is this your stile?

I think there is a cap on top of the filter housing you can remove and add fuel here. there is a leak back valve on the filter housing so the fuel will go to the head.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Yes you can run a pump to prime the system that way you just described, As long as you don't run the engine this should not be a problem.

Let me know if i can help more!

RD

Edited by Rudolph Diesel on 10/31/2010 at 6:03 AM EST
Rudolph Diesel

Thank you!

RD

Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel