Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

i cranked it up mowed grass for an hour or so...start back up

Customer Question
i have a mahindra 2015...
i have a mahindra 2015. i cranked it up mowed grass for an hour or so. I stopped to put diesiel, and it would not start back up. no headlights, no blinkers. the flasher just made noise. I thought maybe battery and replaced it, no luck. i took the starter off and had it tested, it is good. i cleaned everyconnection on the battery, and the round points. i placed a test light on the swith, and when i tried to start it gets really dim like there is quie a load. i do not know wher ethe voltage regulator is to check it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
10/2/2010
Technician: Curtis B., service manager replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Do you have a voltmeter to check the system? Start with the battery, be sure it has at Least 12.5 volts, Then try starting it and read voltage, it should Not drop below 8 volts. Then check from the battery positive post, to the frame, should read battery voltage, if not, the ground is bad. If ground is bad, the negative battery cable has to have fault at the battery, the cable itself, or the connection on the frame. If ground checks good, follow the positive cable to the starter solenoid, and check all the connections at the solenoid. Check the small switch terminal on it to verify that when you go to Start position, that it is getting to the solenoid. Then check the solenoid to be sure that it is closing and sending power to the starter. The problem could be the solenoid itself, but I suspect a ground problem. Let me know. Thanks.
i already did all of that as stated in the original question. As stated in the original question, the lights do not come on, the flasher relay only makes noise just like a bad ground. there is even 12.5 volts at the key switch. when I try to start the tractor there is a voltage drop. this has not helped me at all.
What does the voltage drop to? Did you check the ground with a meter? The voltage regulator only has to do with the charging system when the unit is running. You are overlooking something. Have you checked the neutral start switch to be sure the ground connection is good through it? Also check the pto switch, if you were mowing and shutoff pto, maybe the switch is stuck???
i will check the pto switch. i checked eveything from battery to key switch. i will check to see what voltagw drops to. i will get back with you in a while. i did check ground with a meter. i disconnected the ground cable from frame, ans cleaned with grinder. even if the PTO switch is stuck, would not the lights still come on, blinkers blink correctly? i did disconnect the neutral switch, and jump past it.
Everything points to a bad ground cable.
i am going to wally world now for some other sfuff. i will purchase a new cable and put on the tractor. i will let you know in a couple of hours. thanks
Thats where my wife is dragging me, see you later!
no luck. did not change anthing. there is 12.3 or so at the starter with key off. when i turn the key at the solenoid swith there is only 2.5 volts. also with the key off the flasher relay buzzes, with key in the run position they stop, no lights, or blinker
curtis. i will not be able to look a this until tonight. i may not respond until tommorow
2.5 volts tells me you have huge voltage drop. Makes me think problem is with battery! You should not have such large drop. Even with starter load, the battery should not drop below 8 volts.
it is a brand new battery, less than a week old. that was my first thought. not the problem.
There is no reason that the voltage has such a large drop other than the battery or the cables. Did you measure this drop at the battery? You said at the solenoid. Check it at the battery, if it falls to 2.5 volts, the battery is dead!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager

curtis

it was the positive cable from the battery to the starter. it showed good very time i checked it 12.5v at starter, and key switch, i must have wiggled it enough to cause a voltage drop, it only showed 10.2 at each location this time.

Good job!! Thanks.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager