Heavy Equipment

Heavy equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now.

I NEED INFO FOR 3408 CAT ENGINE I NEED THE TORQUE SPECS FOR…

Customer Question
I NEED INFO FOR 3408...
I NEED INFO FOR 3408 CAT ENGINE I NEED THE TORQUE SPECS FOR TOP & BOTTOM END HEAD, INJECTORS, ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY, RODS, MAINS.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Heavy Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/11/2010
Technician: catmastertech, Technician replied 12 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Donnie :

I will need the serial number or model to get the correct spec's.

Donnie :

Is this a HEUI "E" model?

If you have a Series II machine, it should have the "E" model HEUI engine.

Here are the spec's for that model.

Main bearing bolts;

Lubricate the threads of the bolts with engine oil prior to installation.

First, tighten the bolts that are on the bearing tab side of the cap.
Torque for bolts ... 258 ± 14 N·m (190.0 ± 10.0 lb ft)

Tighten the bolts on the opposite side of the bearing tab.

Use a paint stick in order to place an index mark on each bolt and each cap. Refer to Illustration 2.

Tighten the bolts that are on the opposite side of the bearing tab for an additional amount.
Turn the bolt clockwise from the index mark. Angle ... 120 ± 5 degrees

Tighten the bolts that are on the bearing tab side of the cap for an additional amount.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Use the following procedure to tighten the cylinder head bolts:

Tighten the bolt 1 through bolt 18 in a numerical sequence to 270 ± 25 N·m (200 ± 18 lb ft).

Again, tighten the bolt 1 through bolt 18 in a numerical sequence to 450 ± 15 N·m (330 ± 11 lb ft).

Finally tighten the bolt 1 through bolt 18 in a numerical sequence to 450 ± 15 N·m (330 ± 11 lb ft).

Tighten the nut 19 through nut 27 in a numerical sequence to 47 ± 7 N·m (35± 5 lb ft).
(1) Torque for the taperlock studs into each cylinder head ... 35 ± 5 N·m (26 ± 4 lb ft)

Torque for four plugs ... 215 ± 20 N·m (160 ± 15 lb ft)

Register Here

(3) Lubricate the O-ring seals and the bore lightly with clean engine oil.

Note: Apply 4C-5599 Anti-Seize Compound to threads of the sleeves before assembly.

(4) Torque for the sleeves ... 100 ± 10 N·m (75 ± 7 lb ft)

Register Here

Note: Tighten cylinder head bolts (1) before you tighten rocker arm shaft bolts (6) .

Note: Apply 8T-2998 Lubricant to the ball and the ball socket of the pushrod, and the lifter bore, with a mixture that consists of 50% camshaft lubricant and 50% engine oil prior to the assembly of the valve train components.

(A) Valve lash

Inlet valves ... 0.38 ± 0.10 mm (0.015 ± 0.004 inch)
Exhaust valves ... 0.76 ± 0.10 mm (0.030 ± 0.004 inch)
(2) Torque for the adjustment screw locknut ... 30 ± 4 N·m (22 ± 3 lb ft)

Note: Recheck valve lash setting.

(B) Dimensions for the rocker arm shaft

Bore in the sleeve bearing for the rocker arm shaft assembly after installation ... 24.803 mm (0.9765 inch)

Diameter of the rocker arm shaft ... 24.752 ± 0.013 mm (0.9745 ± 0.0005 inch)

(3) Lifter guide springs must not be used again. Always install new lifter guide springs.

(C) Dimensions for the valve lifter assembly

Bore in the head for the valve lifter assembly ... 27.953 ± 0.019 mm (1.1005 ± 0.0007 inch)

Diameter of the valve lifter assembly ... 27.896 ± 0.013 mm (1.0983 ± 0.0005 inch)

Register Here

Tightening sequence for the injector elbow bolts

Use the following procedure to tighten the bolts.

Tighten bolts 1 and 2 to 5 ± 3 N·m (44 ± 27 lb in).

Tighten bolts 3 and 4 to 47 ± 9 N·m (35 ± 7 lb ft).

Again tighten bolts 1 and 2 to 47 ± 9 N·m (35 ± 7 lb ft).

Use the following procedure to tighten the connecting rod nut :

Before assembly, lubricate the threads of the bolts and the seating face of the bolt heads with clean engine oil.

Tighten the connecting rod nuts to 82 ± 8 N·m (60 ± 6 lb ft).

After torquing the connecting rod nuts, tighten each nut for an additional angle (J) of 120 ± 5 degrees.

sorry man i had some problems with my comp
the serial number on the machine is 48w22618
it does not have the HEVI system
sorry man i had some problems with my comp the serial number on the machine is 48w22618 it does not have the HEVI system

Register Here

Large bolts (3/4 inch). Put 5P3931 Anti-Seize Compound on the bolt threads and tighten the bolts in the step sequence that follows.

Step 1. Tighten bolts from 1 to 14 number sequence to ... 270 ± 25 N·m (200 ± 20 lb.ft.)

Step 2. Tighten bolts from 1 to 14 in number sequence to ... 447 ± 20 N·m (330 ± 15 lb.ft.)
Step 3. Tighten bolts from 1 to 14 in number sequence again to ... 447 ± 20 N·m (330 ± 15 lb.ft.)
Step 4. Install the rocker arms for the engine valves.
Step 5. Tighten bolts from 15 to 18 in number sequence to ... 270 ± 25 N·m (200 ± 20 lb.ft.)
Step 6. Tighten bolts from 15 to 18 in number sequence to ... 447 ± 20 N·m (330 ± 15 lb.ft.)
Step 7. Tighten bolts from 15 to 18 in number sequence again to ... 447 ± 20 N·m (330 ± 15 lb.ft.)
Step 8. Tighten the nine small bolts (2) to ... 43 ± 7 N·m (32 ± 5 lb.ft.)
(2) Small bolts (3/8 inch). See Step 8, above.

(3) Torque for eight studs in each cylinder head ... 25 ± 4 N·m (20 ± 3 lb.ft.)

(4) Height of cylinder head (new) ... 112.78 ± 0.25 mm (4.440 ± .010 in.)

NOTE: Flatness of the cylinder head should be within 0.13 mm (.005 in.) total, and a maximum of 0.025 mm (.001 in.) for any 76.2 mm (3.00 in.) span.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Torque for the bolts that hold the caps for the main bearings:

Install the main bearing caps with the marks (arrow) toward the front of the engine. Install each cap in the same place from where it was removed. The cap with number 1 on its bottom goes in the front of the block. All other caps also have numbers for position.

a. Put 2P2506 Thread Lubricant on the threads of the bolts.

b. Tighten the bolts on left side to ... 260 ± 14 N·m (190 ± 10 lb. ft.)

c. Tighten the bolts on right side to ... 260 ± 14 N·m (190 ± 10 lb. ft.)

d. Put a mark on each bolt and cap.

e. Tighten the bolts on right side, from the mark ... 120°

f. Tighten the bolts on left side, from the mark ... 120°

Tightening procedure for connecting rod bolts:

a. Put 2P2506 Thread Lubricant on bolt threads and contact surfaces of nut and cap.

b. Tighten both nuts to ... 80 ± 8 N·m (60 ± 6 lb.ft.)

c. Put a mark on each nut and end of bolt as shown.

d. Tighten each nut from mark ... 120 ± 5°.

NOTE: The connecting rod must be installed so the chamfer on the edge of bore (5) is near the corner on the crankshaft. The side opposite the chamfered edge must be against the other connecting rod on the same crankshaft pin.

Side clearance between two connecting rods on same crankshaft pin (new) ... 0.28 to 0.84 mm (.011 to .033 in.)

Clearance for valves:

Intake valves ... 0.38 mm (.015 in.)

Exhaust valves ... 0.76 mm (.030 in.)

Register Here

(9) Torque for the nuts that hold the fuel injection lines to the nozzles ... 40 ± 7 N·m (30 ± 5 lb.ft.)

(10) Torque for nuts that hold the nozzles ... 75 ± 7 N·m (55 ± 5 lb.ft.)

(11) Body.

(12) Nozzle. Tighten nozzle finger tight on body (11)

(13) Put liquid soap (40% solid) in the bore in the cylinder head and on the O-ring seal. Put 5P3931 Anti-Seize Compound on the threads before installation. Torque for direct injection adapter ... 205 ± 14 N·m (150 ± 10 lb.ft.)

Let me know if I missed something. Always glad to help.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
thank you man
what do you recomend for diagnostic tools for cat i think im ready to get a diagnostic tool

I can't help much here, I have only seen and use CAT ET. I am told most dealers will license it for as much as $5000 per year. This would include all the service information and parts books as well as the full machine version of Electronic Technician.

I have seen some other dealers offer a basic version for less but, I doubt it has any equipment with it.

I just haven't seen anyone else use other tools but, have heard Pro-Link might have something to see engine codes.

These are in the common J1939 language but, the machines use Cat Data Link and it is exclusive to CAT.