Heavy Equipment

Heavy Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Heavy Equipment

01 navistar 4300 DT466.Shuts off driving down the road.Key

switch dead in start position.I...
01 navistar 4300 DT466.Shuts off driving down the road.Key switch dead in start position.I can jump across relay terminals to start back up.Shut off-then key start and run.Engine runs smooth then it shuts off and on like you turn the key off and on for split second.Check batteries they are new with good connections.Customer replaced starter HA!.I connected Pro Link to retreve codes.The only one I got was 626.Which I was told had to do with disconnecting the batteries.I need some help,I don't have any manuals yet.Dealer was not any help at all.
Answered in 2 days by:
8/23/2010
Wayne, Journeyman
Chat Conversation Started
wayne :

Hi I'm Wayne, I will try to help you with this,

wayne :

did you ever remove the Ign Switch, and check the terminals, for burned connections, We had a IH. do this very same thing, as a matter of Fact a customers truck went thru 2 ign switches in about a 3 year period. we would jump the relay on fire wall, and be fine for several hours, showed him how to do this, till truck came to shop and Fixed

Customer :

Hey there! Been waiting all weekend for a response. I checked the switch there are no signs of burnt wires or terminals.I would not rule it out,But it seems to me why is the start position on the key switch dead when the truck shuts off.Then you jump relay to start then turn it off,Then turn key and the truck starts

wayne :

I was out of town for the week end, Took notice today, at questions, seen yours and boy did that bring back memories of a night mare ,and 1 Angry Boss, (customer) chewing me out on the phone

wayne :

I would with any doubt, replace that Ign. switch, Harvester had problems with switchs internally...and burning up on out side

Customer :

Sorry the switch was not it. I replaced it then started truck waited to warm up.As I was thinking about taking it for a ride it stumbled once then again about 10 seconds later. I still have it running to see if it will totally shut off today

wayne :

So that was not it, I would have bet money on it........OK, so now it is not dying out, just stumbling, and you are letting it run to see if it going to die ,correct

wayne :

if it does not die , and just stumbles , I would think that it was the Switch, and now this is a another problem, may have been caused by loosing power

wayne :

Let me know what's going on

Customer :

Yes,I also noticed the Ign relay is Hot.Is there that much draw on that circiut. It is hard to know if the truck will not set codes.What is next !

wayne :

Relay should be warm to the touch, not Hot thhat you can not hold it

wayne :

also feel and see if your fuel solenoid is Hot

Customer :

well I can hold my finger on it.Ok i will walk out and feel it. Give me a minute !

wayne :

OK

Customer :

If you are reffering to the IPR, I cant leave my finger on it

wayne :

OK, back went out for a smoke

wayne :

No not the IPR , the fuel shut off solenoid on side of pump

wayne :

Is the truck still running ??

wayne :

If so take for a test ride

Customer :

Truck still running, I did not see fuel solinoid,like a mechanical motor.But i will take it around the block. Wish me luck Talk to you maybe 30-45 minutes

wayne :

OK Sir, good driving

wayne :

I have to run and pick up Grand kids from school, be back at 4pm, leave me a message when you get back

Customer :

Yes I understand.I also got cornered in the yard talking about another job.Any way I drove the truck up and around interstate 95 for about 35 miles with no problems. Held it to the floor.Then turned around came down Rt 40 at 50mph.Did not hesitate,stumble,or shut off. Maybe that was it.Ether way I won't feel that it's fixed untill the guys run it for couple days.

wayne :

Hello Customer,

wayne :

good I am glad to here that, I was sure that was your problem, Like I said I have gone thru that night mare ...... Well if you hit Accept, and feel that your problem is not solved ,I will ask for a refund of your money, but I'm sure you and I can work out this problem, which I think, we already have ......... either way, up to you.

wayne :

Thanks, Wayne,

wayne :

and God Bless

Wayne, Journeyman
Wayne, Journeyman